Looking for Mic Replacement Suggestions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Major Player

Looking for Mic Replacement Suggestions

I currently film mostly school age concerts of band and choir. I use an AT822 stereo mic in combination with my Sennheiser G2 wireless set up so I can put the mic pretty close to the stage.

While the reults have been pretty good, I find the audio to be very dead and flat sounding. I was wondering if anyone had a any suggestions for a moderately priced replacement for this set up. It would have to be a single stereo mic as I try to avoid running mic cables across an auditorium.

I have looked at the Rode NT4 but do not know if it is worth the money for the upgrade. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

So you are using two Senny G2 transmitters and two G2 receivers to get the sound to the cameras L & R channels, correct?

If so, I would have thought this would account for "the flat & dead sound".

I would suggest you need a Digital Audio Recorder (located up close to the mic - at the base of the mic stand). Then, you would record from the AT822 directly to it's flash card, i.e. forget about the weak link in your audio chain, the radio link back to your camera (i.e. still no wires across the floor to worry about people tripping over). You then just sync it up in post to the video in your NLE. Tip - leave the internal mics on the cam on and (although you won't use the sound tracks from them) they will help you match up the sound from the digital audio recorder files exactly to the video in the timeline.

I have a (basically similar) AT825 which is really excellent, "open" in sound, definitely not flat or dead! - when connected directly to camera or (Fostex FR2-LE) digital audio recorder. I don't know but strongly suspect even a superb Rode NT4 stereo mic would sound flat if relying on a dual radio link - assuming I've understood your post correctly.

Hope this helps!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Andy

I am only using one At822 and one G2 wireless set up. My only problem with the recorder is we film marching band competitions with up to 45 bands and indoor percussion and guard shows with up to 70 groups. Having to start and stop the recorder just adds something else that can go wrong and it also add another step in the editing process (not a big deal in a wedding, but multiply it by 70 and it becomes a headache).
Old January 3rd, 2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Trustee

Well the answer isn't what you wanted to hear. Either go to a high end wireless, like the digital zaxcoms or lectro 411's or go hardwire. Even a much better mic on a low end wireless will suffer from high end roll off and compander noise.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Major Player

The Edirol R09HR has a wireless remote. Don't know the range of the remote.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #6
Major Player

a single g2 is a mono unit, how are you utilizing a stereo mic with a g2?
are you asking how to set up your stereo mic, or are you looking for a mono mic rather than stereo?
if you are combining the two channels to connect to the wireless, you could definitely get flat sound through cancellation.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio