Does this Right Angled XLR cable rotate? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 9th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Does this Right Angled XLR cable rotate?

Remote Audio | 3-Pin XLR Angled Male to XLR | REM CAXJ12RTMF

I'm looking at the male end, does it rotate so the cable goes upward? It seems from the picture that if it doesn't rotate, the end will point towards my cameras strap (XH-A1).

Can anyone confirm if it rotates?

Also, is there a difference in this cable :

Audio-Technica | XLR Male to XLR Angled Female | ASP00127 | B&H

and the first cable I posted? For the double right angled cable, it's a "jumper" cable. Just want to know if it's okay to use to connect my shotgun mic to my camera.

Thanks
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #2
Major Player

This isnt definitive by any means, but i bought a similar looking short right angle lead for a similar purpose. The right angle does not "rotate", but i was able to unscrew the connector on the end and had the option of (gently) repositioning the "xlr" part to lock into place in four positions (up, down, left or right).

I could be wrong, but i believe all these 90 degree connectors are designed the same way. Unscrew the connector, carefully reposition how you want it (without stressing the cables), then screw it back together. It makes more sense than having to sell specific connectors for the angle you want the connector.

So, i believe either of those cables would work for you. Big difference i saw between the two is one was right angle on one end, other was right angle on both. Electronically and acoustically, there is zero difference between those two cable options. Its just a matter of which connector you prefer.

cheers!
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Andrew! I appreciate you sharing your insight and experience.

I just found through searching a link to oktava and saw they made custom cables. I shot them an email to see what they could do for me. It should come out cheaper than the above cables.

Have a good one :).
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Just FYI - some right-angle XLR connectors can be assembled with your choice of orientation, others only go together one way. Which is used on various manufacturers commercially assembled cables would be anyone's guess. The best way to find out would be to contact the manufacturer directly. Between those two cables you posted, Remote Audio would probably be more accessible than A/T, simply because Remote is a small company catering pretty much to the professional market (it's actually a division of Trew Audio).
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Neutrik RX series can be set in 5 fixed positions. (around 360 degrees)
Neutrik - Audio - RX Series - NC3MRX-BAG
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #6
Major Player

The picture linked to looks like a Neutrik.

In which case it should be able to be repositioned.
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #7
New Boot

Yes they can be rotated but it can get "stiff" depending on the amount of rotation - male and female. You have to disassemble the connector to do this, pretty simple stuff (Neutrik). I had some cables custom made and had to rotate them to fit the application. It works, see the photo below.

http://fortressoffreedom.com/Office231.jpg
Maurice Ali is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio