Sennheiser MKE400 lost cover at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 13th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser MKE400 lost cover

This sounds like a daft question, but...

While playing with my 5D2 in the middle of the night the foam rubber glove that covered the Sennheiser MKE400 on the camera hot shoe disappeared at some point, and is now lost forever in a snowdrift.

The mike still seems to work ok, so I assume the foam was solely there for minimal protection and/or decorative purposes.

Am I right in assuming I could replace it with any old piece of foam rubber from a hardware store cut to fit the mike? Or is Sennheiser foam rubber some high tech acoustic-enhancing variety?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy Nicholl
Jeremy Nicholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Beware - there are close cell and open cell foams. I'm pretty sure mic foam will be open cell but don't know that for sure. What's wrong with getting a replacement from the manufacturer via their website - it's not going to be expensive is it???
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Beware - there are close cell and open cell foams. I'm pretty sure mic foam will be open cell but don't know that for sure. What's wrong with getting a replacement from the manufacturer via their website - it's not going to be expensive is it???
So far as I can see they don't offer that option. To be honest the mike is so cheap that I'd buy another one if I could, and make sure I taped the cover on properly this time: I had noticed that it was loose but foolishly did nothing about it.

The problem is that I'm in Moscow at the moment I don't think I can even buy a replacement mike here, so the only solution seems to be to make a new cover with raw foam. I hadn't realised that there are different varieties though.

Thanks,

Jeremy Nicholl
Jeremy Nicholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Trustee

Realizing you are not in the US, the replacement windscreen is apparently available, as a large retailer here carries it for $US 9.95.: Sennheiser | Foam Windscreen for the MKE400 Shotgun | 528117
Presumably a Sennheiser dealer there might know of it. // Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #5
Trustee

PS the windscreen is not merely decorative, its purpose is to minimize the direct impact of the wind on the mike by diffusing it...the direct impact of wind on a mike is like a hurricane on a roof...noisy, and possibly destructive. Any acoustically-transparent foam, or in a pinch, even part of an old sock, will provide some protection until you can get a proper replacement. It's a condenser mike and those are sensitive to moisture as well....best of luck! / B. Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #6
DVCreators.Net

I'd just get The Sennheiser MKE400 accessory kit with the long haired windmuff - that thing is way cool for cheap. Just follow the instructions if you ever take it off. You squeeze it to release.
Attached Thumbnails
Sennheiser MKE400 lost cover-mke400_eos5dmarkii1.jpg   Sennheiser MKE400 lost cover-mke400_eos5dmarkii2.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio