Getting rid of noisy kids - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 28th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Pass out candy...something really sticky like toffee or Tootsie Rolls?
Or, "Pass-out" candy. Tootsie Rolls spiked with Ritalin? :-)

What about using three or four "zone mics". Unidirectionals pointed toward the band in fairly close proximity?

It's going to be hard to eliminate the noise. But maybe it can reduce it somewhat.

Or perhaps work with the shopping center management and have the kids under control during the performance. Fat chance, huh?
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Wow, I was all excited to check this thread, thought maybe you'd found a place I could drop my 3 li'l buggers off. Dang.

Any chance you could ask the mall cops to close off the play area for a "toxic barf spill" for the time you're playing? Maybe hire a couple extras to come in in those bright orange suits and start poking around the area a half hour before you start? I'll bet the moms will have Screech Jr. outa there, toot sweet!

It's a tough audio situation when you've got kids in the background - I've done a couple school plays where there was a screamer to one side of the camera, and the audio on that track killed a few li'l hairs in MY ears...

I think you MIGHT be onto something with the ambient track which you could pull in and out of the mix, and then some close/solo mic'ing as already suggested. I know by your chosen mics that you're fairly serious about your sound, but maybe a gaggle of cheaper mics (which I'm sure will offend your ears) would yield a result that 99.9% of listeners would be thrilled with. You want to keep the audio standard set high, but most people really don't hear that well anyway to catch the last 5-10% improvement.

The lip-sync trick isn't all that bad either... really... you could even record individual performances that way, in case anyone plays out of tune <wink>!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I always thought the answer to getting rid of noisy kids was Swiss boarding schools...

Out of curiosity, why would you want to completely eliminate the noisy kids? I might think they add to the ambience of the moment. Maybe just use hypercardiod mics or shotguns to minimize the little brats?
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Go with the flow...

After hearing the audio, I don't think it's that bad for a public performance. If I was the one shooting it, I'd probably do what Brian suggested earlier and just throw in a few shots of the crowd, and of the kids running around. The worst thing in videos is when there is sound off camera, but you don't really know what it's from. If the video were to start out with a wide shot that included the crowd, before tightening in towards the band, that would establish where the noise is coming from, and most of the viewers would automatically forgive the sound quality(which isn't bad for a live recording in a large room with so many people in it).
Matt Ratelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #20

I think Matt has provided the most reasonable/workable answer to the problem.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I wonder if this one of those situations where you could use two microphones and phase reversal to remove the sound of the kids? Never had much luck with it myself, but I'm throwing it out there.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Yes, I had thought about the phase reversal stunt. I'm trying to set up a somewhat controlled experiment to see if I can make it work.

I don't necessarily want to remove ALL the uproar - just the parts that suddenly interfere with the flow of the music.

I had a similar problem in another recording with someone coughing at just the wrong time as the solo line was fading away- was able to trim out the cough and fade the instrumental out a tad early and it worked just fine. Noise in and of itself doesn't annoy me but interfering with the feeling of the music is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

I know I'm worrying about this more than I need to, and everybody has been happy with the recordings. It's just a personal challenge/learning experience so I can do better the next time.

It's tough being an old nit-picking perfectionist!
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio