Help - NTG-2 On-Camera Kit Versus VideoMic - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #16
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
76 is a LOT better than 65 and you should know that Azden in general doesn't, shall we say, garner the highest regard among working audio people.
Thanks for the clarification and the heads-up on Azden. What about the Audio-Technica AT897... it seems to be priced and sized about the same as the NTG-2, and has a similar signal-to-noise ratio (77 dB for the AT-897 versus 76 dB for the NTG-2). Would I hear much difference between these two mics?
Jason Woodbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Woodbury View Post
Thanks for the clarification and the heads-up on Azden. What about the Audio-Technica AT897... it seems to be priced and sized about the same as the NTG-2, and has a similar signal-to-noise ratio (77 dB for the AT-897 versus 76 dB for the NTG-2). Would I hear much difference between these two mics?
I haven't used the AT so I can't speak from first-hand knowledge. A 1dB difference is signal/noise ratio won't be noticable.
Old February 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #18
DVCreators.Net

Inside you're Videomic box should be an extra set of silicone bands. Double up your bands and you'll have less shake.

You're not going to hear much difference between an AT897 and a RODE NTG-2
You can listen to them against your existing Videomic here DVeStore’s Shotgun Shootout at DVcreators.net

To get these shotguns to really sound good you need to get them close to the subject and you need a little clean pre-amp (if your camera doesn't have clean pres), and that's what the Juicedlink will do.

I think you'd be better off spending the money on an inexpensive Audio Technica Pro88 wireless and getting the mic closer to your subject. You don't have to mount it on the person, just "plant it" nearby. For example, if you're shooting a kids party and they're going to cut the cake, just drop it on the table and stand back 5-7 feet. Send the wireless to the Left channel and the on-camera mic to Right channel.

You can find a 1/8" "Y" cable to feed both the Videomic and the wireless into your HG20.

Hope this helps,
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:12 PM   #19
Major Player

May I enter this thread with a question that is related, though not totally on point?
I am also looking at the Rode NTG-2 (unfortunately, not with one at hand, which would answer the question for me). I shoot wildlife with the mike that comes on the Canon XLH1, and a fuzzy cover. It works fine. The question is, would a Rode work better. I do not care about isolating the sound with a narrow recording pattern. In wildlife video, ambient sound is a good thing to have. The trouble is in removing low frequency and wind noises in post. Even with the fuzzy cover there always is some wind noise. The resultant sound track is shot through with warbling artifact. I'm wondering if a better microphone (higher signal to noise?) can prevent the artifact.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM   #20
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siegel View Post
May I enter this thread with a question that is related, though not totally on point?
I am also looking at the Rode NTG-2 (unfortunately, not with one at hand, which would answer the question for me). I shoot wildlife with the mike that comes on the Canon XLH1, and a fuzzy cover. It works fine. The question is, would a Rode work better. I do not care about isolating the sound with a narrow recording pattern. In wildlife video, ambient sound is a good thing to have. The trouble is in removing low frequency and wind noises in post. Even with the fuzzy cover there always is some wind noise. The resultant sound track is shot through with warbling artifact. I'm wondering if a better microphone (higher signal to noise?) can prevent the artifact.
You will definitely hear a difference. The NTG-2 will sound clearer and less tinny, that stock mic, as many others sound "thin". You really just have to experience it for yourself in your environment to realize what you're missing.
I'd be happy to loan you one, along with the windmuff or even a RODE Blimp if you're interested, we're a RODE dealer and a sponsor of DVinfo.net
The NTG-2 also has a bass roll off switch that you can enable to cut out low end rumble. You'll also experience less handling noise.
Should you decided to keep either, I can offer a 10% discount off the lowest advertised price you can find. How's that sound?
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:23 AM   #21
Major Player

Guy,
That's a wonderful offer. Thank you. How do I contact you?

Steve
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:30 AM   #22
Major Player

Steve,
I have the NTG2 on a boom pole with the Rode pistol grip shock mount and WS6 wind screen.. works pretty well. I'm happy with it...
I use the AT 897 as a camera mounted mic.

cheers
Gareth
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
You'll also experience less handling noise.
I can confirm this. I own both mics. The Videomic is now in my museum of purchase failures. It just picked up too much handling noise no matter what I did.

IMHO The NTG-2 is so much better with regard to handling noise I almost can not overstate it.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
I'd be happy to loan you one, along with the windmuff or even a RODE Blimp if you're interested, we're a RODE dealer and a sponsor of DVinfo.net

Should you decided to keep either, I can offer a 10% discount off the lowest advertised price you can find. How's that sound?
Wow, can't ask for more than that! Guy, I am sending you an email regarding a job specific audio kit I am working to build. I would welcome your help!

This is one of the fantastic things about this site - a newbie (me) can access unbelievable expertise and quality gear. Thanks DVI!
Bill Spearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:26 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Woodbury View Post
I still don't like the way Rode designed the shock mount of the VideoMic. As I move around while filming, the mic bounces around too much and I can hear noise going in the headphones.
Coming late to this thread. Here's info on the RODE Videomic problem with loose, floppy and noisy suspension.

In late 2006, RODE received a shipment of faulty 0 rings for the VM. Unfortunately some got into the system and out to dealers before being halted. Prior to that there were no problems.

Not being content with just replacing the faulty rings RODE completely redesigned the 0 ring to a configured 8 which also stops it from being pulled off as some people found when jamming the VM into a small space in their cam bags. One guy did this together with an open can of soda; the soaked mic still worked, for a while anyway :(

If anyone happened to buy a VM with faulty 0 rings, by emailing RODE they received a set of the new rings FOC, as CEO Pete Freedman explained on their site.

Dealers also corrected the problem with their stock, so by now I'd expect it's history, but you never know.

RØDE Microphones - VM Bands

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio