COS-11D and Sennheiser G2? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 19th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #16
Major Player

Hey there folks.

So, this is the information I just got (Trew Audio was very helpful):

Quote:

COS-11X/D

Note: No reason to get D with the G2 evolution. The D is about 50$ more, but it is intended to work with digital systems.

Pricing for COS 11x, wired

Mic with wired G2 connector:
  • Mic: $341
  • Connector: $28
Total: $369 (includes mic accessories)

Mic with wired G2 connector and hard-wired power supply:

Total: $444 (mic, connector, and accessories)
Note: Power supply is battery powered. This is useful if not using wireless transmitter.
I imagine that the prices may change over time, but it sounds like a pretty sweet deal! :)
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks for the information! That Trew does the connector work is an excellent thing - a lack of time on my part has kept me from using the Sanken with my Sennheisers. This changes that.
Dana Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Hulse View Post
The D is about 50$ more, but it is intended to work with digital systems.
Can someone fill me in here by what is meant by "digital systems"? Maybe give an example of a digital wireless system and how it would differ from the G2?
Nate Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Morse View Post
Can someone fill me in here by what is meant by "digital systems"? Maybe give an example of a digital wireless system and how it would differ from the G2?
Digital wireless translates the audio to a digital data stream in the transmitter and sends that to the receiver. Higher quality sound, not as subject to dropouts, no need for companding and its resulting noise, etc. For details take a look at the Zaxcom wireless on their site. Be prepared for extreme sticker shock <g>. Senn G2 will run about $600 for a transmitter/receiver pair. Zaxcom digital will run in the vicinity of $4000 for a xmtr/rcvr set.
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Makes perfect sense. Thanks, Steve.

Looks like I won't be getting the "D" model after all. You guys just saved me $50.
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #21
Major Player

Nate or Mickey:

Can you give an update on how the COS-11X/D worked out with your G2 system?

What vendor did you end up using?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I'm actually holding off on purchasing the wireless system since the Sennheiser G3 is so close to being released. But, I do have a COS-11x with an 1/8" mini-jack connection coming that I purchased directly from B&H. It's being drop-shipped directly from Sanken (they called to verify what type of wireless system I was going to use).

In the meantime, I'm hoping to use the mic wired directly to my H4n. Make some sort of belt for the recorder and use it directly instead of a wireless transmitter. Then I'll sync the audio in post. I'll let you know how things turn out.
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
I'm actually holding off on purchasing the wireless system since the Sennheiser G3 is so close to being released. But, I do have a COS-11x with an 1/8" mini-jack connection coming that I purchased directly from B&H. It's being drop-shipped directly from Sanken (they called to verify what type of wireless system I was going to use).

In the meantime, I'm hoping to use the mic wired directly to my H4n. Make some sort of belt for the recorder and use it directly instead of a wireless transmitter. Then I'll sync the audio in post. I'll let you know how things turn out.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Im ordering a COS11D-EW-Black from B&H today along with a lot of other items for a shoot coming up in August.

I wonder if the onboard power from my Sony PCM-D50 will power this mic? Any idea?

Anyway, my EW100 G2 518-554 MHz sets are still working great until the FCC turns off these frequencies. Will the G3 use the same microphone connector?
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
What vendor did you end up using?
Hi Jeff!

Sorry, but I have yet to purchase COS. :(

Sorry that I can not be of help.

Cheers,
Micky
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Jeff -

The G2 and G3 units use the same connections, so you should be fine when/if you switch over. As for plugging it into the PCM-D50, I'm not sure. I'm wondering the same thing myself for the H4n.

Does anyone know if the COS-11D mics with 1/8" connectors will work plugged in directly to the Sony PCM-D50 or Zoom H4n?

Can't speak for the PCM-D50, but the H4n has one 1/8" mic jack with the option for "plug-in" power. It also has combination 1/4" (line) / XLR (mic) inputs with optional phantom power. Are any of those connection types the same as what I'll be getting with a G3 wireless transmitter? Are there any connections that I should definitely avoid testing on this microphone?

Thanks,

-Nate
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:

Does anyone know if the COS-11D mics with 1/8" connectors will work plugged in directly to the Sony PCM-D50 or Zoom H4n?

Can't speak for the PCM-D50, but the H4n has one 1/8" mic jack with the option for "plug-in" power. It also has combination 1/4" (line) / XLR (mic) inputs with optional phantom power. Are any of those connection types the same as what I'll be getting with a G3 wireless transmitter? Are there any connections that I should definitely avoid testing on this microphone?

Thanks,

-Nate
Nate:

The plug-in power from the Sony D50 will power the condenser mics with the G2/EW plugs. However, it does not seem to be made to do it, as when pushed all the way in you get the left channel. When the connecter slips out just a hair, it slips to a notch it wants to stay in, and both channels are fed after a loud pop (keep the level to 0 while connecting). On the D50 this would not be a feasible connection for real field recording due to no way to securely maintain it.

However, it works great for tesing purposes. I used it to test the ME2 vs the COS11D lav mics and the G2 radio system vs direct recording to the D50.
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Plug-in power on the Zoom works to power this mic as well. The locking connector definitely is not the right fit to the 1/8th jack. However, I soldered my own adapter that is a locking female 1/8th jack to standard 1/8th male plug and it works great. The recording is mono (right channel only), but that's what I was expecting. I'm assuming the left channel is used to supply the power.
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #28
Major Player

Update on the COS11

Now that I have tested and used the COS11, I can offer some comments comparing it to the ME2.

1. The COS11 has a slightly lower noise floor than the ME2.

2. The COS is slightly more sensitive than the ME2.

3. The COS11 is much richer sounding with more low end than the ME2. If you thought the ME2 made people sound good, the COS11 does a much better job of it. The ME2 is definately thinner.

This is not really a negative aspect, but the only thing I have noticed is that when you use one COS11 lav to pick up two people (wedding ceremony is an example) the non micd person sounds thinner than with the ME2, because with the ME2 both people sound more evenly thin in comparison to the COS11. You still have better sound overall with the COS11, but the difference in non micd speaker is clearer. Maybe I am describing a proximity effect, I dont know. The COS11 can handle more manipulation in post though, so that is good.

Bottom line, for an upgrade to your ME2 lav, the COS11 is a good choice. It works great with the G2 radio system.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio