COS-11D and Sennheiser G2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 25th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

COS-11D and Sennheiser G2?

Hey all,

Was thinking of purchasing a G2 100 series lav kit, but after listening to some samples online, it seems pretty clear that I'd want to upgrade to a better sounding mic than what comes standard.

After poring over Dan Brockett's wireless lav shootout, I've decided that the COS-11x sounds the best to my ears. Since the COS-11D appears to be a newer model with RF noise protection, I was thinking of going with that. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble figuring out how to connect it to the G2 system.

Here was what I was planning to purchase:

Sennheiser | Evolution G2 100 Series - UHF | EW112PG2 - A | B&H
Sanken | COS-11D Omnidirectional Lavalier | COS-11DPT-BK | B&H
Sennheiser | Locking 1/8" (3.5mm) Connector | 99112 | B&H
Sennheiser | MZA 900 P - In-Line Preamplifier | MZA900P | B&H

Does this look about right? I'm thinking I can just solder the lav directly to the 1/8" connector for use with the G2 wireless transmitter.

The MZA 900 P would be for when I want use the lav wired. Plug in my custom wired lav to the MZA 900 P and then into a standard XLR input with phantom power.

Just a couple of questions:

1) Will this work, or do I need some additional circuitry in between the lav and transmitter?
2) Would it make sense to go with the COS-11D or should I stick with the COS-11X?
3) When using the lav wired, would I need any other gear to ensure that I'm getting a balanced connection with my recording device (i.e. If I ran another 20' of XLR cable from the lav would that 20' technically be balanced)?

Thanks everyone,

-Nate
Nate Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It's sometimes not as simple as just soldering a couple of wires, there may need to be a capacitor or resistor in the path like with some of the Lectros. The COS-11 is probably available terminated with a locking mini TRS, saving you the trouble and aggravation. (maybe not from B&H but Trew Audio or other specialty shop could probably match the B&H price)
Research before soldering as you may damage the mic if wired improperly.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Rick. I took your advice and did some searching for a schematic. Looks like I should be able to wire things up just fine without any extra resistance.

SANKEN MICROPHONE CO .,LTD. | Q & A [ For SENNHEISER ]

Now I'm curious, whether I should wire the lav to mic level or line level (both are an option since I'm using a stereo plug). Any advice?

Also, if anyone has experience with the COS-11D (versus the COS-11X), I'd appreciate the input.
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #4
New Boot

My Sanken Cos-11x is set up with a TRS connector (done turn-key by Trew Audio and shipped same-day) to plug straight into my Sennheiser G2 transmitter. Works fine together. Great sound.

I'm also using the same Cos-11x with my Sony PCM-D50 for voice-over. Again the sound is surprisingly good.

John
John Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Nate,

I do just what you are trying to with my gear. I have Sony ECM-77's, Senn MKE-2's, and Countryman e6i's all wired for the G2 packs, and also use the MZA900p for use on XLR. My only problem was with the e6i. The MZA doesn't produce as much voltage for the mic as the G2 pack does, (4V vs 7V IIRC) so the e6i doesn't work when connected to the MZA. Countryman was not only no help, but rather rude about it to boot. nice. I don't have a Sanken to try, but I'm 2 for 3 so the odds are in your favor. ;-)

So...
1-yes with the exception noted above. good luck.
2-by cos-11x vs cos-11D, are you asking to buy the pigtail or XLR version? they both come both ways...i'd get it without a connector and put the locking 3.5mm on it myself, or get the premade one from Trew. It needs to wire to the mic input on the tip of the 3.5, mainly because it's the right level input-but also because there is no voltage for the mic on the line input at the ring...DONT connect both. I think I actually grounded the line input on the plug.
3-the MZA900p is a balanced output, and does require phantom. I've had my MKE-2's on the MZA, and as much as 1000' of XLR between it and a fader. Works fine...
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You guys are way braver than me. I don't think I'd attempt to terminate a wire that small myself. I'd just get Trew or Gotham to do it.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Greg -- The COS-11D supposedly differs in its ability to handle RF noise (not just what type of end its terminated with). You can see the press release here:

BriefingRoom on Electronic Musician Sanken Partners With Lectrosonics For New COS-11D Lavalier Microphone

Maybe it just has better shielding? I'm expecting the sound quality shouldn't be any different.

Thanks everyone for the input. Very helpful.
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I drop a question here since it is about Cos11 and Sennheiser G2 (that I own and use regularly):

don't you find the microphone too sensitive? I have problems with cloth and cable noise most of the times I have to hide it. I use the rubber mount, double sided tape, broadcast loop, whatever i do i can never really be 100% sure that I won't have problems.
I'm quite convinced that the problem is not how I rig the lav. Sometimes i can perfectly hear the noise of the arms moving and touching the torso of a person, that has nothing to do with how I rig it.
A few days ago i listened to a Cos11 wired to a Lectrosonic, a simple piece of tape and the rubber mount under a T-shirt. Same headphone I use (Sony MDR 7506) and a SD 442 mixer (I use a 302). Nearly no noise! So I'm wondering: is it possible that the mic behaves differently depending on wich transmitter it is wired to? May be depends on the power supply?

PS I have two sets of wireless behaving the same way so there is no chance that I have a defective unit..
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Major Player

The G2 input is a little on the sensitive side. The MKE2 comes in a "ew gold" version specifically for the G2, is has a slightly reduced output compared to a regular MKE2. Have you tried reducing the sensitivity in the menus of the G2 tx? That may help, if you can reduce it enough-the 100's don't have a big adjustment range.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Mmh I tried but with not so much luck. When it comes to TX sensitivity I think that it is already too late. It is signal I guess, you can lower it before and raise it later (RX af out or at mixer's gain or fader) but you get what the capsule has got.
may be it is just the marriage COS11 EW100 that doesn't work. I should try with another mic, I used to like the open sound of the Sankens but sometimes it is really just too much.
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Armstrong View Post
My Sanken Cos-11x is set up with a TRS connector (done turn-key by Trew Audio and shipped same-day) to plug straight into my Sennheiser G2 transmitter. Works fine together. Great sound.
Hi John,

I was thinking about getting a Sanken Cos-11x/d, but I would not want to fiddle with the wires...

Looking at the detail shots for the Cos-11x, it looks like the default connector is an XLR?

Would I want to contact Trew Audio and ask them to modify the cable to plug directly into my G2 transmitter? Or, should I get an XLR to stereo mini adapter?

I am guessing it would be best to get them to modify the cable, vs having an adapter.

Not to hijack thread, but I would love some advice. :)

Also, is the "d" or "x" a better buy?

Thanks!
Micky
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I'm sure Trew can sell you a COS-11 that will plug right into the G2 transmitter. They'd also be the one's to ask about how well the mic works with that system.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
I'm sure Trew can sell you a COS-11 that will plug right into the G2 transmitter. They'd also be the one's to ask about how well the mic works with that system.
Very cool!

Yah, I should just call them and get the info. I will post back what I hear from them. ;)

Thanks Marco!

Cheers,
Micky
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Micky, did you get any satisfaction from Trew?
Dana Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #15
Major Player

Hi Dana!

Doh! It completely slipped my mind.

Calling them now.

I will post back shortly.

Thanks for the reminder!
Micky

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio