Shock mounts for mics - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 16th, 2004, 12:29 AM   #16
Major Player

Hey Michael... the K-SSM was developed primarily for the CS1 which if you look at one you'll see it's body is just the last 2" and the rest is the interference tube... The K-SSM is made for really small mics.

Something like the AT or similar is what you will want. I hope you realized that the NT3 is a "handheld sized" mic.

The Oktava that I got this mount for is TINY... only about 3/4" by 4" or so...
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 02:55 AM   #17
Wrangler

Perfect. I'm getting the Sabra Som for the NT3. Yeah I did research it thoroughly, that's why I jumped when you put it up for sale!

And that's my 300th post.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Question:

I have noticed that for small mics the rubber bands are crossed over the mic in the shock mount.

1. Are the bands supposed to be crossed over both horiz. and vert.?

2. In the AT8415 would you cross the bands for a large microphone, 1.25" diameter?
Matt McConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #19
Major Player

Crossing the bands isn't mandatory. If you get a mount that fits a lot of mics you'll find that it may not hold a small diameter mic as well as a large one... then you cross. If you put a tiny mic in you may need to cross both axis, but I doubt it.

From my experience with band type mounts I only crossed the horizontal ones when needed and the verticle ones mainly kept the mic in the center of the mount.

If you had a very small mic in a horizontal only band mount, like a PSC, and you didn't cross the bands you may have the mic shift off center in a rapid movement...

If you have a particularly heavy mic you may need to cross both bands if you want to boom that mic.

If you get any shockmount it will only take a few minutes to see what works with your mic.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #20
Trustee

For what it's worth, I just ordered the AT8415 from B&H. Should be here in a few days and lets' hope it works better than my crappy Beyerdynamic EA86 that nearly had my ME66 swimming in a pool a short while ago ;)

I might post my newbie impressions when I get it.

Aaron
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:37 PM   #21
New Boot

Will the at8415 actually contain the NT3 mic? According to the specs, the NT3 is 30 mm diameter. The AT mount says maximum size mic it will hold is a 28. Any one actually used this combination that knows that it works?

I'm looking at the NT3 very seriously myself, and would like to know which mounts will be big enough to handle it. Any input anyone has on this would be great.

Thanks
Jerry Keener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:02 PM   #22
Major Player

The Sabra-Som Mount will work and so should the less expensive Windtech SP-30
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 10:17 PM   #23
Trustee

I use the sabra Som and the 8415 and they work fine but somehow i just can't see the wintech being much more than a glorified mic stand.

Jerry
The 8415 and the sabrasom will work great with the NT3.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 10:27 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I have the windtech. It's a great mic clip, but not really a shock mount for boom use. Or camera mount use. Just a good mic clip for having on a stand.
Martin Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 01:42 PM   #25
New Boot

Do you think somone could get away with using the NT3 on a boom pole if you had it in a Sabra-som?
Anthony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #26
New Boot

I'm trying to find a mic that I can use on a boom pole with my gl2 without buying an expensive phantom power providing adapter. The NT3 sounds good and fits the bill....but i've heard people say its heavy. I dont care if its a bit "heavy". I just need to know how realistic it would be to use.
Anthony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 05:29 PM   #27
Trustee

The NT3 would work on a boom. I'd be tempted to use an AT 8415 shock mount. They're the same price as the Sabra
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:09 AM   #28
Outer Circle

Quote:
just ordered the AT8415 from B&H. Should be here in a few days and lets' hope it works better than my crappy Beyerdynamic EA86
So how is that AT8415 compared with the "cr_ppy Beyerdynamic?"
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:23 AM   #29
Trustee

Well, there's no comparison really - it's a totally different class of shockmount. The AT8415 was more expensive that that EA86 of course and so you'd expect better but if I'd have known I would have got the AT8415 from the start. I got the one with the special KTEK bands and those things hold my ME66 with minijammer and foamsock, damned tight. There's no way it's going into a swimming pool now.

Aaron
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:30 AM   #30
Outer Circle

I probably missed the link, but do you have a link for the AT8415 (with pic and specs)? Thanks.

PS: I think I'll now pass on the Beyerdynamic EA86.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio