Finally got a shock-mount at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 4th, 2004, 10:54 PM   #1
Outer Circle

Finally got a shock-mount

Since I wasn't planning to attend southern Germany's, "Das Funfzigerfest," this year, I decided instead to make a day of it on the day that it actually counts; and today was that day. It all began after I feed the chickens this morning when my neighbor asked me to take her to her mother's. "Sure, let's go," I said, and off we went for a drive to "The Wack."

After I dumped her off at her mother's, but not before I got the 50 bucks and the $50 gift certificate for The Keg (steakhouse & bar), I gas'd up the car (for Petro Points), since gas was cheaper in Chilliwack, (Sardis, actually), and then dropped my wife off at the Zellers while I motored down to Value Village. Take note that I took my other half along. :-))

Wow, the Value Village had tons of stuff! I saw Super 8's for under 10 bucks, slide projectors, cameras---no pipes---and then I spotted what I wanted to buy. It was a large, silver pen with a heart-shaped silver holder. The pen felt like one of those "poison pens" used in the art of Baguazhang. Yup. I bought it. 20 bucks, thank you---a nice side-kick for my friend, Buck. Model #119. Oh, and I also bought a dictionary, since my current paperback special has long been in pieces. (The dictionary was 2 bucks.)

Back to Zeller's, can't forget about the wife, you know, and drove back towards home, though we stopped for a breather beside the Star Bucks in Coquitlam Centre. I was keeping one eye open for Dylan, but I didn't spot him, so off we went again, my wife and I, straight to Lorne Lapham; and this is where the story really begins. :-))

I looked at all types of shock-mounts, and decided to go with the Sennheiser MZS6. It's a perfect hot-shoe shock mount for my Apex 191 cardioid mic! 54 bucks, that's all it was, and it's got a screw-hole on the bottom to fix it to a boom or a tripod. Perfect, perfect, perfect! Now I just have to get a sock, and an XLR-to-mini plug adaptor, Have a good day. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 12:52 AM   #2

Good story, if nothing else. You should do stand up!
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 01:27 AM   #3
Outer Circle

I would be ashamed if no one laughed.

It's a good shock-mount, much better than the Beyerdynamic EA86---perfect for my Pana MX3.
Old March 5th, 2004, 01:47 AM   #4
Old Boot

Stand Up For Frank G!!

HAHAHAH . . Frank, it sounded like a Chandler novel . . LOL! . . . You kept my attention all through . . I could see the film and its storyboard too! . . I could imagine the Vegas FX for a real filmy type look .. . Nice one Frank! Stand Up? Nah, film script writing . .you get to sit down too!

Thanks for sharing Frank . . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 12:23 AM   #5
Trustee

Frank
Your way off topic yet this is accepted. Ididn't even venture that far yet got lambasted. What gives?

One rule for all
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 02:36 AM   #6
Outer Circle

Well, the birthday story was about leading up to the big shock-mount buy, and everything was true. And I am happy I finally found a good one. I was pulling hairs after I bought the Apex 191. :-))

This is the one here:

http://www.vidinc.net/mzs6.html
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #7
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : Frank
Your way off topic yet this is accepted. Ididn't even venture that far yet got lambasted. What gives?

One rule for all -->>>

(shrug)
Technicaly, he gets to the topic eventualy. :)

Frank
Funny, I was in Coquitlam Center that day. I went to Kerrisdale Cameras and London Drugs to see if they had the new Minolta A2. (they didn't)
Old March 6th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #8
Outer Circle

I parked by the Star Bucks, near Save-On-Foods. I had to use the pay-phone to get directions to Lorne Lapham. Lorne's was the only game in town as far has having a good selection of shock-mounts. Looking at shock-mounts on websites just doesn't cut it. I almost ordered a Beyerdynamic EA86, but after seeing and trying one at Commercial Electronics, I realized that it wouldn't fit into my hot-shoe.

That photo/video shop beside the Safeway---you know where the safeway is, right?---is owned by my wife's cousin---another XL1 man---great wedding photographer. He learned his trade from his father (lives on Como Lake Rd), and his father learned the trade from my wife's older brother. The brother is still well-known as Iran's best photographer.
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:05 PM   #9
Old Boot

. . .and? I can't get to sleep wanting to hear the rest of this story . . .
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 03:28 AM   #10
Outer Circle

The rest of the story? I'll have to come up with something tomorrow, then. :-))
Old March 7th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #11
Major Player

Frank, so how do you like it? Have you got a chance to try it out yet?
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #12
Outer Circle

Yes, I like this shock-mount. It mounts the Apex 191 very well. However, I haven't used the mic yet because I still have to get an XLR to 1/8 cable, and a sock or cover. I also have to find some type of clamp for my tripod, for my other cams which don't have a hot-shoe. Lorne's sells these types of clamps as well.
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #13
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski :

That photo/video shop beside the Safeway---you know where the safeway is, right?---is owned by my wife's cousin---another XL1 man---great wedding photographer. He learned his trade from his father (lives on Como Lake Rd), and his father learned the trade from my wife's older brother. The brother is still well-known as Iran's best photographer. -->>>

I know exactly where you mean. Is it Memory Photo? If I remember the name correctly. I live about three minutes North of there.
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #14
Outer Circle

It's in the mall, and I think it's called Moment Photo. Kavon is the owner. He's a fantastic wedding photographer.
Old March 9th, 2004, 10:01 PM   #15
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : I parked by the Star Bucks, near Save-On-Foods. I had to use the pay-phone to get directions to Lorne Lapham. Lorne's was the only game in town as far has having a good selection of shock-mounts. Looking at shock-mounts on websites just doesn't cut it. I almost ordered a Beyerdynamic EA86, but after seeing and trying one at Commercial Electronics, I realized that it wouldn't fit into my hot-show.. -->>>

After recently driving up to Whistler and completely bypassing Coquitlam, it's clear that I've been leading a deprived life! Next time up, I'll have to take the short detour to get in on the riveting action! At least I could get a SBux.... :-)

Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio