Audio pros: can you explain this? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 29th, 2004, 07:23 PM   #31
Trustee

Maybe you should try plugging phones direct into
the receiver, bypassing the cam. Have someone
talk into the Tx and listen for it then.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Right. What you are hearing is the system's noise floor when the noise gate is open. That's the difference between the cheap gear and the expensive gear.

However, try a different frequency, or one in a different frequency band. You may find one that has a lower RF "ambient" noise.
Marty Atias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:28 AM   #33
Major Player

Glen,

Comparing the ECM 77 and a ME 66 is like apples and oranges, especially if one is cramped by a wireless connection. I did a quick test with mine where they were both hardwired, one to each channel. Lav in it's normal place cliped to shirt, 66 on a stand about 4 ft in front. The 77 won hands down for in my opinion. You may want to try a similar test to set your mind at ease about the mics. I'm guessing the wireless connection on your 77 is really limiting the quality.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:03 AM   #34
Major Player

In terms of circumstance when it comes to the test you describe, how the audio will be edited should be considered.

For instance, if you need to mike two people, the interviewer and the interviewee, the one ME-66 in between them may deliver excellent audio quality that won't require additional sound editing which will be required if you use two lavalier mikes.

If you use two lavalier mikes, you may find that you have to "duck" the mike not being used, so if you have a lively exchange going on, two lavs can be a pain to work with.

If you don't plan on using the voice of the person asking the interview questions, then one lavalier mike is probably better than one ME-66, but be aware that certain unpleasant sounds get amplified as well.
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:09 AM   #35
Wrangler

Yeah I'm planning to use my wireless/shotgun combo for wedding videography. The main reason for wireless is to capture vows. Granted a little noise tail won't "hurt" me too much expecially beings I'll probably have a music bed in the background though I want to see if I can lower it's audibility (is that a work?) to the best of my ability before I go into post and throw a soft music track under it, etc.

A friend, another forum member, just picked up the Senny Evo100 wireless system from B&H yesterday so we are going to try and compare them tonight. We are also going to compare his Audio Technica (forget the model #) to my ME66.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:20 AM   #36
Major Player

The Samson wireless mikes tend to do a good job of picking up a small circle of people, such as during wedding vows.

However I don't know if you can get diversity style with the Samson wireless.

Another consideration is if you only use a mike on the camera you will get a shift in audio quality and tone as you move around the group. (assuming you do some moving, not too much because they would probably be frowned upon, but sometimes you have to move or you will miss a moment).

Ideally you probably want a wireless mike attached to either the person administering the wedding or on the groom, PLUS a mike on the camera as back-up.

Sometimes placing the mike on the loudest talking person will not be the ideal way to go, you might find it wiser to put the mike on the softer speaking person, (usually the groom), this should allow for the pick-up of both the bride, the groom, and the priest/rabbi/preacher...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio