Audio in a moving vehicle..? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 14th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Catt View Post
I've sat in the back seat with a hypercardioid mic on a four-foot boom going between the two front seats, aimed up toward the driver. Results were quite good, even getting the "normal" operating sounds. I was recording to a MicroTrack digital recorder for later synching.
So would my short condensor sound horrible? See the problem is I understand that it would be way better to use a audio recorder like the Tascam DA-P1 hooked to a boomed-from-below omnidirectional microphone or Lav/Cub1 from the celing but good greif I would be paying out the ass for that convenience and I doubt this short film will hit a film festival. A hypercardioid I don't think would be to expensive but will it make that much of a difference in terms of audio performance in the truck as well as in the public bathroom scene?

I dunno. I still may try to budget a portable recorder. The convenience of having one I think would be way worth it. I would also love to be able to record sounds, like glass breaking etc. that I can edit in in post.

thanks Martin,
Terry.
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #17
Regular Crew

A omni is really out of place here. A cardiod....well, not the first choice, depends now on camera placement/framing/how close can you go. A hypercardiod would be the right choice.

It's ok to go into the camera - going double system in a way has its own downfalls, be aware of that. It's more important to first invest in one (or more) nice microphones.

Also, microphones keep their value over a very long time, especially if you buy used.
Karl Lohninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lohninger View Post
Onto the ceiling between and slightly in front of them, that's where I put them.
So I looked up the Cub-01 and it shows two polar patterns - a cardioid pattern and a hemisphere pattern. Does it matter which one you use? I assume you would position the "back" of the microphone towards the front window, right? Thanks again!

-JP

Last edited by Jonathan Plotkin; June 15th, 2009 at 05:55 AM.
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #19
Major Player

Any old hypercardioid? I've never shopped for hypercardioid microphones before so i'm kinda lost in that department. I found a pretty nice Audio Technica hypercardioid. By nice I mean cheap. Its a Audio Technica AE6100.
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Nobody in their right mind would shoot with some 20 dollar clunker VHS (full!) camera flee market find - unless it's for a (very) special effect.

This 'it's nice 'cause it's cheap' thing really is the wrong way to go about. If you like AudioTechnica, the 4000 series is the only acceptable one from them.

If you buy a 'quality' used microphone you can be sure to not lose a dime in case you'd want to sell it again in a few years. Hell, you might even get more. Try that with those cheapies......
Think of Sennheiser MKH series, AKG 460/480 series, Schoeps CMC series (you'll find pretty cheap T-powered Schoepses out there!), and if you really want AT, then the 4000 series.
Karl Lohninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #21
Major Player

Well the Audio Technica AE6100 is $170 on B&H. I paied $200 for my AT875R.
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #22
Major Player

I see what you are saying Karl. But like I said, i've never shopped for a hypercardioid before. I bought my AT875r short condensor as an all purpose microphone for applications both indoor and out. Bassically my choice was money oriented, as is most purchases of any sort. The AT875r is $200 and was rated a great buy for its class.

I think that AT AE6100 is more for vocals since its a dynamic microphone. See I know nothing about these microphones!!
Terry Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio