Wanna' hear the swamp by my house? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 7th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Wanna' hear the swamp by my house?

I guess it's getting late and I'm feeling punchy... I can't stop laughing at these damn frogs I recorded last night. There's a park not too far from me called Klondike Park. It's quite a little gem... I was scouting it as a possible location and unfortunately there is a power plant a couple miles away... and you can hear it humming in most of the audio... but it's not bad and the ambient "swamp" sounds are pretty entertaining...

I did this with 2 Oktavas on the end of a stick... er... "boom"... in ORTF configuration... in 2 blimps.

I'm sorry for the bit of handling noise that comes through in one or two parts... the skeeters were killin' me!

CLICK HERE for 4 different parts of the park... seperated by silence.

BTW this is a windows media file...
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:09 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I got itchy just listening to that. Reminds my of my backpacking days.

That's actually a nice little clip. Good spacial ambience, particularly in the first two parts. You should offer that as a loop that city folks (like me) can play at bedtime.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 07:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Ken! I thought I'd get a little more response then this... I'm pretty impressed with the Oktavas in ORTF configuration.

They 'aint no Schoeps, but if you saw where I was I doubt you'd have the Schoeps there anyway!

For run'n'gun shooting... 2 Oktavas on a stick sounds decent.

I'm planning to start a comprehensive collection of sound effects, both practical effects and ambience.

Sure there's always better stuff out there, but I think my kit gets some seriously detailed audio... If you turn it up just a bit, or use headphones... then the sense of 3D space is really good... also there are a hundred different sounds happening at once!

I'm gonna' be getting clips like that with my uberjammer* and 2 Rode studio mics... large diaphragms... THEN you'll hear some serious sh*t.

*uberjammer: noun. Term coined by Beas to represent a hodge-podge creation to shockmount and windshield 2 large mics.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #4
Trustee

Wow, Matt, pretty cool. Nice recordings. What was that buzzing
on the fourth one? And also the clicking on the fourth? What kinda creatures were those? Sounds like the Amazon! : - )
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #5
Major Player

The buzzing is some kind of insect... I don't know what? The clicking sound is crickets... crazy huh? I especially like how the cricket clicking oscillates around... I didn't touch any of these... this is exactly how they sounded as I stood there in the dark.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio