Why beachtek versus other mini mixer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 12th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Why beachtek versus other mini mixer

Ok you sound gurus, I have one of those comparison advice questions. What am I getting when I use a device like the beachtek DXA-8 versus let's say a small 10 or 12 channel mixer from mackie for about the same price? Note, I am using the At897 and 825 and a HD10U video camera (which for some unexplained reason has only automatic sound settings).

Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #2

With the DX8, you don't have the 8/12/16 channels of input that you have with a small Mackie, but you gain tremendous portability and at least 2 fewer cables. (mic to board, board to cam)
You DON'T have EQ, auxes, busses, or meters with the Beachtek, but most field production guys don't need those things, or they've learned to set levels correctly at camera.
If you are using the 825 plus the 897, you are already 1 channel over what you can do with the Beachtek though. (assuming you are using the 825 in stereo) So, that leaves you needing a 4 channel device, I'm not aware of any 3 channel devices anymore, but there might be.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #3
Trustee

Portability and build. The Beach is small, sturdy and fits under your camera. It also operates on one 9 volt battery. It also seems (to me anyway) that the quality of the components on the inexpensive studio mixers can't be that good. Pots and faders by the yard, so to speak. JMO
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Studio 1 makes a 3 channel XLR adapter.

Never used it, but it looks interesting.

http://www.studio1productions.com/xlr-bp_3_pro.htm
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys, I will look into the Beachtek and Studio 1 option first for the portability (and the Mackie when $$$$ permits). BTW I am only using one mic at a time, not both. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:15 AM   #6

Bryan,
The pots and faders found on the low end mackie's are very, very, good. That's how they got popular so fast. Lo noise, high performance.

Jeff, I'd forgotten about the Studio Devices 3 channel. Thanks for the reminder. Their products seem to be quite good on paper. Never used them myself.

It's usually all about portability though, Dwight. Unless you've got a crew, you need to have gear that helps YOU be the crew.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Douglas, you're right. Usually on a shoot I have two other guy with me, but we still come up short on manpower, so portability and ease of use can overcome a lot of other shortcomings. Though an EQ option with portability would be nice.

Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio