15' XLR to Mini too far? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

15' XLR to Mini too far?

I have a SGM-1X that I use an XLR to Mini 1' cable with on my GL2, no BeachTek or MA-300, and I am quite pleased with the sound, I haven't experienced a better mic or used it with an adaptor, so I can't compare, but this setup suits my needs!

I have an event that I would like to use a handheld for a small portion, that I will be borrowing from a friend who is an amateur singer, and currently uses the mic with a 15' XLR to 1/4" plug into a guitar amp of some sort. Can I capture decent sound out of it by just adding a 1/4" to mini on the end and plugging it into the cam, or will that just be problems waiting to happen?

-Chris
Chris Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:33 PM   #2
Trustee

You have 2 issues:

The longer the unbalanced cable the greater the chance for interference. 15 ft is pushing the envelope.

The lower the signal strength, the greater the chance of interference, The SGM1X has an output sensitivety of -41 db
Most hand mics are dynamics and have an output sensitivety of somewhere around -55 db. The output of the dynamic will be less than 25% of the Azden shotgun.

Try it and see is the only real answer. This could be your lucky day.

Where in Canada, Eh!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Unfortunately I am only getting the mic the day before the event, which does not leave much time should the scenario not work, and I need to scramble for a solution. I guess worst case I will use the 1X on the camera, and hope I can find a quite corner for to aim it into.

From Burlington ON... Updated my profile :)
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:59 PM   #4
Trustee

I don't have any direct experience with this, but if I were you, try and hire a Beachteck or something. Can't cost more than a few bucks. That way you'll be safe and if you get one with preamps even better!

Even if you use the Beachtek just for the locking XLR so some idiot doesn't trip over your cord and yank out the sound cable!

Aaron
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:11 PM   #5
Trustee

When adapting to fragile mini jacks I find it puts less strain on the jack to use a short cable that has the correct connectors on each end rather than a regular adapter placed on the end of a heavier cable. Of course that makes the cable run a little longer and some times it's harder to find a cable with the proper connections.
If you only have the adapter, try and tape the heavy cable to a tripod leg so you have a short slack section that won't strain the input connector. You can also loop the heavy cable through the camera's handle if you are doing quick setups.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:40 PM   #6
Trustee

Not only do I tie the cable off but the mini is always a right angled, molded plug. I then velcro the end of the plug to the handle.
Old August 4th, 2004, 10:23 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Not that I am too cheap to rent a beachtek, or finally cough up the cash to buy some sort of XLR adaptor, but I am trying to work with what I have.

What about the mic on a 15' XLR Female to male, then the 1' XLR to mini? Would that be just as bad? Or is the problem not the cable itself, but the transition of going from XLR to mini?
Old August 4th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #8
Trustee

If the connection is unbalanced at any point, then the entire run is unbalanced. However it is beneficial to use the standard good quality XLR cabling for the longest part of the run. That usually does give you some shielding benefits versus cheaper unbalanced cable.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #9
Wrangler

I've been using the cable setup you're describing for about 3 months and am happy with it. Mostly recording dialogue and ambient sounds for amateur movies. Just finished recording about 2 hours of indoor & outdoor interviews all over the New York landscape for a public service advertisement and it worked like a champ. My team and the customer are pleased with the quality of the recordings.

But! it's kinda hard for me to say how well this setup would work close to a stage with a lot electrical equipment.

My setup is:
1. Hosa Stereo Mini Male Angeled to 2 3-pin XLR Female Y-Cable

2. NT3 Rode mic with cheap 15' XLR cable - have not experienced any type of interference with this mic on this setup. Used with an AT8415 Shock Mount with pistol grip/boom.

3. ATR35s dynamic wired lav - this mic works well directly connected to the cam, but it does incur a bit of noise when I use it with the HOSA XLR adapter. Plus, the cable is 20' long. Two of these with a regular stereo mini Y-Cable gets decent sound.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio