Audio Technica Shotgun Microphones at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 4th, 2004, 04:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Technica Shotgun Microphones

I am using a Sony PD170 and have decided to get something to replace my Sennheiser ME66. I use the camera for documentarys (behind the scenes and other), DV films, and recording bands (thus the mic needs to handle a loud concert environment). I have been looking at the following mic's and wonder if any of you have experience or preference.

The AT 4073A
The AT 815ST (I'm not sure if I want to do stereo though, its just a strange idea I get sometimes at night when I've been thinking too much)
The AT 4071A

And comments are greatly appreciated. So are any alternatives if you can think of any. I have been really impressed with the AT stuff, even to the point of second thinking my Sennheiser, but I am open to other brands.
James Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #2

The 815 is a great format mic, I've got one here in Singapore with me for this event/project. Very happy w/it.
The 4073 has an awesome, very warm sound but is quite heavy and on a completely different plane than the 815. It's short size doesn't diminish pickup, but if distance is part of your style, have a look at the 4071
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #3
Trustee

I would add that when you want an even wider pickup pattern, the AT3031 (or a pair of them) has a very clean sound, with very low self noise and a huge max SPL of 148db. Some people say that's 148 before the built-in 10db pad for a real max of 158. I tend to think it's with the pad engaged so the normal max is 138 without the pad. Either way, 138db is still pretty high and these mics are priced well under their performance level. It's no problem locating them for $160 to $170 with free shipping.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you both for the response. I think I am going to go with the 4071. How does the warmness of the sound compare to the 4073?

Also, which mic would you feel comfortable with recording a band playing live, maybe 5 feet from you at times?
Old August 4th, 2004, 08:32 PM   #5
Trustee

Why do you wajnt a shotgun? It would seem that a hypercardoid would suite your need better.Have you looked at the oktava , the AKG Vlue Line or the AT that Jay mentioned.

Listen to some clips and read a bit more on polar patterns.
Jay Rose on pattern recognition

Various mic clips
More clips
Old August 4th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #6
Trustee

For recording a band at such close distances I wouldn't pick a shotgun, unless that's all you're interested in using as your all around on-camera mic for mobile situations.
Accoustically I'd pick something more suited to musical recording with a wider pickup pattern and not mounted on the camera.
I would only choose the 4071a over the 4073a if you were always going to be shooting at distant targets outdoors and wanted maximum directional sound. The 4073a would be much more versatile. It's easy to get carried away with having too much directional pickup which usually sounds bad in situations that don't require that much isolation.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 08:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Those are some very good points you make. The 4073 seems to beat the ME66 directinally, so you make a good point that the 4071 would be a bit extreme.

Thank you guys, I'm definately going for the 4073.

And yes, seperate would be much better, and in fact already available, but I am going to be moving around a lot and don't want to worry about tripping over wires and was looking for a decent mic to sinc up with in post, or perhaps to be able to actually use some of the sound.
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #8
Regular Crew

As long as I'm asking questions, I'll through in another one.

Does anyone have any experience witht he AT Camera Mountable UHF Diversity Lavalier System w/ ATWT101 Transmitter, ATWR100 Reciever and the AT AT899 Lav microfhone?

If so, how does it compare to the Sennheiser Evolution 100stuff?
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #9
Capt. Quirk

I'll chime in- I have the ATR55 stereo/zoom mic, and have had no complaints. I have noticed, that my GL1's mic att has to be off, or the audio is too low. Live and learn.
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

ATW-U100 system

I use the AT system but with the 830 lav. Sound and reception are excellent, and the system is easy to set up and use.
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio