improving audio on Sony VX2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 27th, 2004, 05:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

improving audio on Sony VX2000

I want to attach a better mic to my VX2000. With only a mono jack, this is not as easy as I'd like it to be. I've looked into the Beachtek box and the Studio 1 adapter, which provide XLR plugs for professional mics. But, I live in China, which makes it hard to get hold of these things. Also, how good are they? Even if they do provide XLR input, you're still using the mono jack to connect to the camera and record on tape - so what difference does it make?
I have found an Azden SGM-X, which is designed for mono jack plug in. It seems alright, but is there anything better? I have heard of the Sennheiser MKE 300 (although haven't found it in China yet) - how good is this? (And has Sennheiser stopped production)
So - the first problem is with the mono jack - the second problem is how to attach the mic to the camera. I would like something like a Lightwave minimount, but Lightwave products are not obtainable here in China. Do any of the bigger brands like Audio Techinica or Beyerdynamic do something similar - and do these mounts fit onto the so-called "Intellegent accessory shoe" on the VX2000?

Hope someone out there can help me out!

PS any advice on what earphones are best to monitor sound while filming also appreciated.
Lizi Hesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #2
Major Player

The first rule of thumb is that there is ALWAYS something superior to whatever you're looking at. Having said that, I use the Beachtek DXA-4 with the Azden SGM-X and a Samson UHF "true diversity" wireless lapel mic system. I have a Lightwave Equalizer on the shotgun. To monitor I picked up a set of Shure ear bud-style phones from B&H during a trip in June. I forget the model and they're too small to have it printed on them (or I just can't see anything that small anymore!). Is this a pro system? No. Does it work well enough to have improved my product? Absolutely. I mount the shotgun on a Videosmith mini-rover "L" bracket to isolate it from camera noise, and help stabilize hand-held shots. This rig is then mounted to a Manfrotto 501 head with a decent tripod and ball leveler centre column. I sure feel like a pro when I'm out in the world, and I have sufficient good reviews to know that what doesn't work isn't the fault of the gear.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks David - but why do you use an Azden SGM-X with a Beachtek box? The SGM-X I saw doesn't need an XLR plug. And what good does the Beachtek box do?
Lizi Hesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 04:40 AM   #4
Major Player

The Beachtek makes it possible to use two mics at the same time, and to completely separate their input. This gives me more audio options in editing. It also allows me to take a line input and a mic input at the same time. This was quite useful in doing an entertainer showcase video, with a line in from the mixer and the shotgun picking up room sound. I could work mainly with the clean mixer output but mix in crowd sounds and applause as needed. And of course it makes using XLR-style mics possible without adapting them to mini-pin. Finally, it allows independant gain adjustments in each channel.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 09:10 AM   #5
Trustee

The biggest improvements come from
1. using an off camera mic.

2. using a higher output mic so the manual audio gain is below 40%. This really limits your mic choice and to open up your horizons you really must use a mic preamp (Beach Tek DXA-8, Sound Devices MM1/MP1or Mix Pre, Samson mix pad 4)

3. For the ultimate in audio enhancement, either the BBC or The Winter modification. This involves having the cameras preamps bypassed and inputing directly into the Analog to Digital converters at line level. This allows better audio than any stock DV cam is capable of.

People usually wind up using the second method.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio