The mics CSI uses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 27th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The mics CSI uses

Just an FYI, incase people are interested what mics the "pros" use, I recently have been talking to the sound mixer from the show CSI. He said the most common mics used are mostly Neumann kmr81 and kmr82 (long throw shotgun mic) and the Schoeps MK41. Wirelesses are Lectrosonics 195, 205, 210, 211 with Sanken lavaliers. This is probably common knowledge for most of the sound buffs here, but I thought i'd share the knowledge anyhow...
Dan Lahav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #2
Trustee

If you read RAMPS the audio news group you'll find that the dialog mics of choice are the MK41 and the Sennheiser MKH50. There are your diehard schoeps people and then the sennheiser group. Many of the mixers and boom operators frequent that board.
Google RAMPS portal

We also have a number of pros here as well. Two of the better audio suppliers are operated by professionals, John Coffey and Glen Trew are working mixers

Short shotguns include Sennheiser MKH60 and 416, Sanken CS-1 and CS-3, Neumann KMR81i and the AKG CK69. The most popular shotguns are the Sennheiser and the Sanken. Everyone has a different opininion but most will agree all the mics listed are the cream of the crop. everyone has a valid reason for feeling that their choice is the best one

Other mics used in production include the AKG Blu Line and to a lesser extent the AT 4053a,4073and 4071. Many people use the Oktava as their mic to go to when they don'y want to risk a $1300 hypercardoid.

Then there's the budget, not everyone can afford the $1450 for a Sennheiser MKH60 or the $1350 for a Schoeps MK41

Have a listen and see if you can detect the difference between a $190 and $1450 microphone
Use decent headphones or a good set of monitors.
Old August 27th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

hey beas-
those sounds clips are excellent. i think your page is an invaluable resource to anyone who is looking for mics.

BTW the mics mentioned above are the mics CSI uses. im totally aware that many professionals use a wide variety of mics other than the ones i listed :)

Anywho this forum is great, i realize many people here know what they're talking about
Dan Lahav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio