DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   AA Batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/33593-aa-batteries.html)

Eric Shepherd May 21st, 2007 09:19 AM

Yeah the thick batteries can be a problem. In the fluourescent light i mentioned, I had to take it apart to get one of the 4 AA's out of it :( They're a little thicker than alkalines, and I think the battery slots are a little thinner than they should be on this light. Bad combination. But the light was probably $10 5 years ago, so it's not a big deal. But definitely something to keep in mind.

I don't imagine most manufacturers really know, so they may say "All AA's will fit" because they're just supposed to. :)

Steve House May 21st, 2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johan Bollen (Post 683059)
.... I hope sounddevices can give me a list of models of AA batteries that do work with their equipment. Apparently it is not all AA batteries as their manual pretends.

Johan

For what its worth, I've found the batteries with the power gauge strip down the side are slightly larger than standard and can get stuck in any number of devices. Had to toss out a laser pointer a while back due to stuck batteries caused by that problem.

Eric Shepherd May 21st, 2007 01:38 PM

Oh that stinks :(

I think Duracell has dropped the power gauge from their batteries. Or at least the ones at Costco anyway.

Johan Bollen May 21st, 2007 04:21 PM

I was lucky enough to get the batteries out of the 302 mixer. It could have been a lot worse and messier because I was just about to drill a hole in the batteries to get some grip on them while pulling them out. Shaking the mixer did the job but couldn’t have been healthy for the mixer. Why did I have to force them in the first place, just because I thought they are supposed to fit?

Someone at Sound devices was so nice to answer my mail quickly. I wanted to share the information they gave me:

When using rechargeable batteries they recommend using the higher power type batteries of Energizer (2,500 mAh Nickel-Metal Hydrides).

Also there was never a battery tube modification in place for the 302 according to Sound Devices.

Johan

Steve House May 21st, 2007 04:38 PM

It may not have been the 302, perhaps my memory is faulty (happens a lot these days <grin>) but I know there was a battery sticking issue with one of their products, not sure if it was a mixer or a recorder, about a year ago. Be that as it may, my impression is that there are variations in the diameter of batteries depending on the manufacturer and type. Best bet is if you have to force it in, it don't fit. Or as they used to say back in engineering classes at university, "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!"

Raymond Toussaint May 22nd, 2007 06:34 AM

13,5 hours

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Gentry (Post 233477)
What will drive my senn wireless lav mic's longer, Rechargable AA's or regular Energizer/Duracels?

-Jonathan

What's changed in a few years? :>]

To reply this: I tested my G2 Sennheiser set: with 2300 mAh NIMH rechargeable AA batteries, I run (during room temp) 13,5 hours continually before the transmitter stopped, the receiver had some power left.

Eric Shepherd May 22nd, 2007 08:46 AM

I did that too, just left them running. But then I wondered, with a louder signal being transmitted, would it draw more power? Like if you run a Walkman or something really loud, it won't run as long as with the volume low. Would it work any different with someone speaking/singing constantly into the mic vs just sitting on a table to test battery duration?

Just a thought. :)
Eric

Raymond Toussaint May 22nd, 2007 01:09 PM

Boy, what a questions...that's not something that keeps me out of my sleep.
;>} But it was recording with a microphone a loud signal from the tv speaker in another room!

Eric Shepherd May 22nd, 2007 01:11 PM

oh okay, well that would be the same then :)

i just had mine sitting here not near anything.. you figure over 10 hours or more, that it could make a difference, i dunno.. good to know though :)