Micro Sized Digital Recorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 25th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #16
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Brett Erskine : I would use the iRiver as a backup source to record a signal because its sure not to have any interferance issues competing signals. And the wireless transmitter as the first source because (unlike the iRiver) I can monitor the levels remotely and dont have to sync up the sound later. -->>>

good question Brett. I just recently bought the 790 and was planning to use it as as backup on the groom. Save the cost of another mic too! Hope we get some answers.
Bill Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #17
Major Player

Just bumping this up in hopes someone can offer a solution to our last unanswered question:

"Will I NEED some type of miniture signal booster or D/A to split the signal from the lav to the iRiver and the Transmitter?"
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 09:23 PM   #18
Major Player

Normally you should NOT split a mic .I believe the voltage and impedence changes would adversly affect both recordings.Just use a second mic , there not that expensive (check out the one Mark suggests)and besides if your using the iriver as a backup and the one of the mics fail your defeating your purpose.
smitty
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:22 PM   #19
Major Player

I hear ya but I'm running a lav here so I dont want TWO hanging off the talent looking even more obstrusive.
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 03:01 AM   #20
New Boot

Iriver for bar bands?

would the iriver work as a 2nd mic at an indoor concert (bar band)? I just did my 1st trial but only had 1 input from the bar's sound board. Not horrible, but flat. Would the iriver give me the 2nd "live" sound that I'm looking for? thanx for any help. lazlo
Sean Lazlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Sean,
What physical connectors did you use from the bands mixer board? Did you go from line out into the iriver? Did you use RCA jacks or XLR jacks into an 1/8th" jack that plugs into the iriver?

I am trying to get a definite answer on whether this can be done. I would hope that there was a built in attenuator or resistor in the iriver for when the software switched it to that mode and that there would be no distortion. Cold and dry I would expect, lacking room noise or added echo/reverb but distortion would not be acceptable.

To me this would be just perfect to plug into the mixer at a church for the vows and would catch any other microphone used by church singers etc. That is, if it works cleanly using "line in" input.
Charley Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #22
New Boot

I don't have an iriver, yet. I plugged an RCA to 1/8 mini jack on the camera from the board, but it sounds flat. I duplicated the audio track in post which made it sound better, but still not acceptable. I need a 2nd track to make the "live sound" more prevalent (spelling?). I will be going to different locations so I need something versatile that I can put in different spots. I think I'm gonna try the Iriver.
Sean Lazlo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio