Microphone for voice over - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 24th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #16
Regular Crew

My picks are

Condensers

1) AKG C3000
2) Rode NT1000
3) AT4033

Dynamics

1) Sennheiser e845
2) Shure Beta 58A
3) AKG D880
Hsien Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 05:41 PM   #17
Trustee

Give yourself a treat and go to Ty's site and listen to some of his Voice Overs. From his voice you'd swear that he's 280lbs, 6'8" and has more muscles than Arnald Swartchenhoofer.

I've had the pleasure of a/b ing 2 mics with a clip that Ty provided. There's a lot of talent involved in VO as well, the mic won't do everything.

Listen to what the man says, it's his bread and butter.
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:01 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Ty, can you remember what mics you used for the samples in your "narration" MP3 such as the Alaskan glacier part? Any dynamics in there or were they all condensers?
Nick Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:29 PM   #19
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Nick Hope : Ty, can you remember what mics you used for the samples in your "narration" MP3 such as the Alaskan glacier part? Any dynamics in there or were they all condensers? -->>>

Hi Nick,

That was recorded here with a TLM 103 and a GML or Alesis 1100 preamp into a Digi 001. I probably did it at 48kHz, 16-bit. The TLM 103 and GML or Aphex 1100 make a nice match. The 1100 is slightly brighter, the GML more natural. I'm not sure I could tell by listening which preamp I used.

Some preamps combine with the TLM 103 to make an peaky, overly bright to somewhat brittle sound. The Focusrite RED Two channel for one.

No dynamics were used. I waffle between a Schoeps CMC641, TLM 103, U 89, and sometimes a 416 Sennheiser, depending on the nature of the read (and what's hanging from the last session). My preamps are GML, Aphex 1100 and the Millennia Media STT-1.

ALthough I don't have one here now, the AT4050 is a nice neutral condenser. I've heard it called unexciting. I'm not sure I want to be excited by a mic. I'd rather be excited by what it's picking up.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #20
Major Player

if you camcorder doesn't have a phantom powered input, then you need a external Phantom Powered device like this one:

http://www.behringer.com/MIC100/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Even better to buy a 50-70 euro analog mixer with phantom power, whcih you can carry with you to your movie shoots. Put the mixerin a strong bag and you be able to control the volume levels instantly. YOu won't kill the volume buttons on the camcorder. Leave those alone. PLug in cam's input and record the stuff. easy.
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #21
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Jose di Cani : if you camcorder doesn't have a phantom powered input, then you need a external Phantom Powered device like this one:

http://www.behringer.com/MIC100/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Even better to buy a 50-70 euro analog mixer with phantom power, whcih you can carry with you to your movie shoots. Put the mixerin a strong bag and you be able to control the volume levels instantly. YOu won't kill the volume buttons on the camcorder. Leave those alone. PLug in cam's input and record the stuff. easy. -->>>

++If you're going for an external phantom device. Please consider a Sound Devices MixPre, two channel mixer with a great limiter, preamps and , oh yes, a phantom supply.

You can adjust gain without jiggling the camera and get a LOT better sound.++

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #22
Major Player

I was looking at Shure's dynamic wired lav mic SM11-CN for interviews. Can I plug this into a GL2 with a XLR female to mini male cord? It's dynamic, so I don't need any power, but do I need a preamp?

Here is the mic: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=68445&is=REG

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #23
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Hall : I was looking at Shure's dynamic wired lav mic SM11-CN for interviews. Can I plug this into a GL2 with a XLR female to mini male cord? It's dynamic, so I don't need any power, but do I need a preamp?

Here is the mic: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=68445&is=REG -->>>

Prolly. Does the GL2 have xlr inputs? If not, you'll need some sort of thingee to do that, depending on what sort of jacks the GL2 has.

If you want the same audio on both channels, you'll need a specially-wired cable that takes the pin 2 audio from the mic and feeds both the tip and ring of the mini plug that goes from the mic to the camera. Regular female XLR to male mini TRS cables won't work.

I THINK the Canon MA300 mic adapter MIGHT be helpful.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #24

The MA 300 WILL work, but here is where I'd recommend a Beachtek or Studio devices or similar type of device. Since the Beachtek is on-cam, I like the DX8 for this.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #25
Trustee

Personally I'd avoid the SM11. It sounds dull, with low output and is visually huge.
For $40 more dollars you could get the AT803b which can run on battery or phantom power.
There are lots of lavs out there that sound better, are smaller than the SM11, and run on battery. Of course the price goes up, but in this case I think it's well worth it.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #26
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Jay Massengill : Personally I'd avoid the SM11. It sounds dull, with low output and is visually huge.
For $40 more dollars you could get the AT803b which can run on battery or phantom power.
There are lots of lavs out there that sound better, are smaller than the SM11, and run on battery. Of course the price goes up, but in this case I think it's well worth it. -->>>

I agree with both doug and jay, but it's Sound Devices, not Studio Devices, No?

Ty
Old November 29th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #27
Trustee

I think he meant Studio 1 (or One, I can't remember). They make devices similar to the BeachTek's that lack phantom power. They mount on the belt instead of the camera.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #28
Major Player

I was looking at the Shure model because it is doesn't require any power and it's pretty cheap.

I'm getting ready to do some interviews with a GL2 on the interviewer and the interviewee. I'll have a Beachtek DXA-6 because it comes with the cameras I'm buying off a forum member tomorrow.

I don't want to spend much more money on this, so can you give me a recommendation on the best cheap way to record an interview. I'm looking for a very high cost:quality ratio basically.

I've never done interviews before. I first considered putting a shotgun on each person or just placing a shotgun above and between the two. But then I was thinking it would be cool to have each person in a separate channel.

Old November 29th, 2004, 05:40 PM   #29
Major Player

Oh, and what is usually more flattering for voice in a lav mic: a cardiod or omnidirectional mic?

Old November 29th, 2004, 08:55 PM   #30
Trustee

Good lavs are the most cost effective way to mic an interview.
You can use a shotgun or hypercardioid as backup, in case of clothing noises or inadvertent touching of the mic during gestures.
It all depends on how the interviewer's questions will be handled and how many recording channels you have.
A powered lav will certainly sound more flattering than the SM11 and I don't consider it any inconvenience at all to use a single AA battery that gives thousands of hours of run time, or phantom power which you will have available.
Omni's are easier to place for good sound and they are less prone to wind noise.
It is important to have each mic on a separate channel, especially when in close proximity to each other. You must have this separation to reduce the hollow phasing sound from two nearby mics mixed together.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio