Too many connectors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 4th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Too many connectors?

Because I’m on a tight budget I’m using every connector I’ve got to connect my lavaliere with its 1/8” plug to my PD-170 with its XLR jack.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting an audio signal with the configuration I'm using! I’m wondering if anyone would be so kind as to offer a suggestion.

So here’s the configuration [and don’t laugh! ;-) ]:

PD170 --->
13’ cable: XLR male to 1/4" male stereo --->
adaptor: 1/4" female to 1/8” male stereo --->
coupler: 1/8” female to 1/8” female (works w/both stereo and mono plugs) --->
5’ cable: 1/8” male mono plug to condenser* lavaliere.

*I believe it’s a condenser; it has a battery-powered switch on its cable, anyway.

Any solutions? (I did a test with a hand held dynamic mic using the cable with the XLR to 1/4” plug [and a 1/4” coupler], and it worked beautifully, even with the 25’ total cable length).

I’ve got a new battery for the lav and I’ve definitely had it switched “on” when testing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone can offer!

Kevin

Incidentally, this is the mic I’m using:
http://www.radioshack.ca/images/Radi...3/3303013s.gif
Kevin Hodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:18 AM   #2

The problem may lie in your coupler, it could also lie in a couple other places. Further, does the lav work plugged into other recording devices?If the handheld works, the lav likely should. Phantom power isn't an issue if the lav has its own battery.
I'd still be scared of the cable length, running unbalanced that far can induce noise pretty easily, especially if you're using a low grade cable on the lav, which most Shack stuff uses.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : The problem may lie in your coupler, it could also lie in a couple other places. Further, does the lav work plugged into other recording devices?If the handheld works, the lav likely should. Phantom power isn't an issue if the lav has its own battery.
I'd still be scared of the cable length, running unbalanced that far can induce noise pretty easily, especially if you're using a low grade cable on the lav, which most Shack stuff uses. -->>>

Yeah, I've kinda been suspecting the coupler as well. I haven't tested the lav with other recording devices, but now that you mention it, I might just run over and buy the cable I need so that I can test it with my edit deck.

Douglas, thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it.

-Kevin
Old December 5th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #4
Wrangler

Most 1/8" electret microphones expect about 3 volts DC for power. Phantom, it you can get it through the lash-up may very well wipe it out.

Check to see if it is still working. I'd not plug it into phantom unless the manufacturer says OK. Many Sony electrets come with a little battery box for use when you cannot plug it into a sony 1/8" microphone socket, all of which seem to supply the 3 VDC.
Old December 5th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You have just learned a really important lesson; When to cut corners and when not to. The time and energy you spent to fix your problem will cost you much more than the difference between the consumer Radio Shack Mic you bought and a real lav.

In addition, every second of audio you record with that mic, and all of the fragility that results from using all those adapters will show the marks of your compromise.

There's only so low you can go. You went past there. Now you know. We all have done it. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Mike and Ty, thank you for your responses!

I've decided that this is crazy to try and use the (cheap) lav with all the connectors. I'm gonna have to buy something better, i.e. a lav with an xlr plug

Thanks again guys.

Kevin
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:39 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Kevin,

There are a lot of good lavs out there. Here's a thought. I use several different countryman lavs. I use them hardwired and wireless. I pay a little extra for Countryman to add what is called "the link."

"The link" is simply a male/female connector in the mic cord before the cord terminates in the power supply barrel where the XLR is.

I order the piece on the end of the wire coming from the lav to fit my wireless transmitter. That way I can plug the lav right into the transmitter OR plug it into the other end of the link and use the same mic as a hardwired mic.

The Sony ECM 88B mics are wired this way (IF YOU HAVE SONY WIRELESS BODY TRANSMITTTERS). Countryman will put whatever link parts in you need. I think other sellers of lavs may do something similar.

I like the Countryman B6, E6 and emw. I also have some AT lavs and the Sony ECM88.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio