Phantom power through 25' cable? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 6th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Phantom power through 25' cable?

Is there a limit to how long of a cable you can send phantom power? I just bought a couple of AT lavalier mics that can be phantom powered with 25' cables and connected to a GL2 with a Beachtek DXA-6. When I turn the phantom power switch to ON, the audio is quiet and terrible with lots of noise. BUT, when I turn the switch off and use a AA in the lav mic, the audio quality is perfect.

I'm pretty sure the battery is fine... the power light comes on. The only thing I could think of is that maybe the cord was too long to send the power through.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 05:43 PM   #2
Trustee

That generally indicates the cables have a bad connection or a break somewhere in the 2 conductors that carry both the signal and the phantom power. One half of the signal can still get through the cable if there is a break in one of these two conductors so the mic may work on internal power, but phantom must be carried perfectly or it won't be "phantom" anymore and will wipe out the audio with noises and trash.
With good cable you can go many hundreds of feet with phantom power and mic signals without a problem.
Which AT lavs did you get? Do you have a way to test the connections of the cables?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 06:10 PM   #3
Major Player

It got the 803b model. Let me try the other cable and see if that one works any better.

Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Yup, the other cable worked fine, so you nailed it. It's just defective. Now to call and exchange it.

Tony Hall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio