Good Mic Stand - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 14th, 2004, 05:43 AM   #16
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : Normal mic stands are short and pretty well unuseable. What people are referring to are c stands and light stands.

The unit Matt Gettemeier provided a link for is a sturdy combo boom and straight stand. It's pretty stabil and can be used as a static boom. (fixed)

I also use a boom pole holder that I provided a link to. this can be used on a heavy light stand or a C stand.

The 3078 is $80 and can hold 20 lbs -->>>

Matt's solution is lighter in weight and not as sturdy as a C stand. If you have to carry gear a long way, that may be an issue. If you want something solid that you can also use at some point to hang good lights or flags from, get a c stand. Actually I'm a mite shocked that more people here are unfamiliar with them.

On mic stands, I got a pair of Atlas stands with long arms for my audio studio. http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--18566/index.html

I could have used lighter weight stands, but I didn't want to worry about them falling over and when clients see these stands, it makes an impact on them.

The gear you use tells a story.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:40 AM   #17
Trustee

Most people are fully aware of what a c stand is. At this time I have no need of the added support and I'm not going to buy one to impress people.

The master stands are light and sturdy, I already own them. With a well placed sandbag they're solid. Just because C stands are available and some one says they're great doesn't mean everything else is cr@p.
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Oh ok, so basically, light stands (such as C stands) are a sturdier alternative to standard mic stands, so it'd probably be worth the extra cost of getting one (so it can double up as a light stand and mic stand if necessary)...

I guess its the compromise between weight/sturdiness, but I might as well just get the C stand now than have to deal with mic stands that keep falling over. I was just wondering, if C stands are so good, why do standard mic stands still exist/are not redesigned, that's all. But you've answered my question.

Thanks,
Dennis
Dennis Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #19
Major Player

Hmm... maybe I'm not getting this right, and I certainly took no offense at any comments, but just in case I want to add that I also use a lot of high-end gear. (Over the last year I've owned about $8K in mics alone.)

The only reason I mentioned this Manfrotto stand is 'cause it's the easiest way to get a simple job done. I happen to do a lot of 1 on 1 interviews in the style of The Daily Show or other shows like that and in those circumstances you only need to get a boom over the head of the guy on camera and that cam is shooting over the shoulder (or next to) the interviewer. In these situations a really light stand like this sets up in about 1 minute and can then be abandoned. Quick, easy, light, effective. You simply point one of the three legs directly under the boom arm and then that, combined with a 5 lbs sandbag for ballast, results in a completely solid, cheap, and easy solution.

I've interviewed doctors and authors straight off Oprah Winfrey's show with this setup and nobody ever blinked twice at it.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio