New Mixer - Sound Devices 552 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 19th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Prefade is extremely useful when multi-tracking.. 4, 8, 16+ tracks, music for instance, however with just two tracks, except in a mix-minus type instance. If it's switchable, I'm sure it would come in handy at some point.

I'm seeing used 442s on RAMPs and ebay for $1800-2000usd. I expect the price to drop once the 552 is actually available.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Hybrid

Looking at the 552, I reckon in the next few years they will merge the mixers and recorders together, so you have the mixing power of the 552 but with the recording potential of the 744/788

They could afford to some some of the outputs as they woldnt be necessary but sitll many for monitors comtek etc

now that would be brillint!
Lee Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I recently spoke with a tech from SD the day after I heard about the 552. He mentioned exactly that.. they will be and are working on ways of merging the "full" functionality of the recorders with the mixers. The 552 is a good step in that direction, but obviously it's for someone that has the need for a mixer more than a dedicated recorder. The biggest thing of the 552 to me is the optional pre/post fade direct outs... wow huge.

I currently use a PSC promix6, and I'm about to have it modded to have 4 of 6 direct outs changed to post fade and leave 2 for pre since they can't physically get a pre/post toggle switch on the unit.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:08 AM   #19
Tourist

A cheaper alternative to the 552 would be the Marenius MM-4220, it only has four channels but it’s half the price.
Martin Karlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:21 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Karlsson View Post
A cheaper alternative to the 552 would be the Marenius MM-4220, it only has four channels but it’s half the price.
48KHz vs. 96KHz is also half the spec. EIN 122dB vs. 126dB, 4dB difference. AD converter dynamic range for MM-4220 is 98dB, 5dB lower than 552 (103dB). I would expect superior sound from 552.
Connectors on the back is weird, not suitable to be carried in audio bag for cable in and out on the side.
Old October 4th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #21
Tourist

Yes, the spec. is a little bit better on the 552. Maybe the 96 kHz sampling frequency is one of the major reason for buying the 552, but is it worth a doubled price? However I don't agree with the cables on the back since PortaBrace makes excellent cases for this purpose.

Last edited by Martin Karlsson; October 4th, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
Martin Karlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 01:54 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Which mixer, sd 302 or SQN 4s 3a

Hey guys this is unrelated but some of my fave people are in here, and for some reason I cant start a thread.... which mixer should I go for?

The 302, has input and output limiters, 2 stage gain, upto +20dbu meter, tone and slate, 2 XLR out, VU/Dbu meter is color coded for line and peak, but shows the entire headroom too
Is roughly about 5 years old.

The SQN has 1 channel extra, only one stage gain but attenuator from -10, -20, no input limiters but 40:1 output limiters, 2xlr output and 10pin hirose, could be upto 15 years old
PPM meter means you mix to broadcast standards, but does not register the headroom after. It doesnt have a slate mic.

They both have the same panning and hi pass options.

Tough call opinions welcomed!!!!!

Leeut\
Lee Sharp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio