opinion sought on AT MT830mw vs Tram TR50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 16th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Major Player

opinion sought on AT MT830mw vs Tram TR50

Hello all:

I have had some experience using the AT MT830mw lavs and they are pretty good lavs but I have been wondering lately how much better the TR50s would be. Most of my work the the MT830mw lavs has been interview type work where the absolute subtleties and nuances a better mic might pick up have not been that important. I am looking at producing more scripted and story based work and think I might need better. I also know the reality that you get what you pay for.

Any thoughts on the qualities of these two different mics would be appreciated.

(yes I have searched and read and listened to all the samples and tests that can be found but there is very little on the 830s)
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Major Player

I guess it was too specific a question.
Old September 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Don't know the tram, but I have 2-3 of the AT MT830 rigged for my AT U100 wireless. They work very well into those transmitters. Lots of signal, probably due to a larger diaphragm.

If you're trying to hide the mic, size matters.

I think (not sure) these are made for AT by Voice Technologies who make the lavs that come with Lectrosonics wireless.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you for the reply Ty. Do you have any opinion on the sound of these as compared to any other well known and commonly used lav?
Old September 20th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I own both. The ATs are not bad but I like the Trams better. A bit more detailed sound and smoother bass is that I hear from the Trams.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank you for the reply Dan. I got the impression myself that the 830s are very usable mics, but seemed a little harsh on sibilants. I was hoping that spending the extra dollars wouldn't be wasted on Tram 50s if I get them. They certainly aren't any smaller than the 830s so hiding them is only facilitated by the accessory kit that is supplied with them.

My feeling has been that the AT MT830mw is a good bargain. It is certainly better than the Sennheiser ME-2 that is supplied with the G2 systems. The same had been same about the Tram 50 and it seems to be rather extensively used in productions.

So I guess I am still undecided on getting the Trams, or even something pricier. They have to be worth it as I hate buying "better" only to find I only ended up spending money and got no better.
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

One of the difficulties I've had in comparing lavs is that each one may couple better or worse with a different transmitter.

That and specific placement on a particular individual. If that leads to a darker sound, the mic with a slight edge can help. If that leads to a brighter sound, then maybe not so much.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio