My Final Post on Audio Equipment! (hopefully) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 19th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hmm, now I'm confused again. :-)

Should I get the K-Tek suspenders or not?
Old March 19th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #17
Fred Retread

What Pete says about securing the mic makes sense, and either suspenders should insulate the mic from vibrations in the shock mount's body. And you can always order K-Tek suspenders later if you want to try them.

By the way, I did some comparative testing of the GL2's on-board mic vs. the AT3031 at one foot and at ten feet. The GL2's mic is not bad at one foot, but the 3031 sounds much better. At a distance of ten feet in my narrow basement family room, the AT3031 smoked the on-board. It was stronger and almost free of echo, making the reverb from on-board sound pretty bad.
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks Fred, that's exactly what I wanted to hear about the AT3031

And thanks for the tip on the shock mount. I think I'll start with the standard AT8415 for now and add the K-Tek suspenders later if I think I need too.

Ok, I have a couple more quick questions...

First off, what is this?:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=155416&is=REG

I saw it mentioned in another thread (not sure which one), but the ground lift switch was interesting. What exactly does it do? and is it something I would find useful?

Also... I was looking at this 2-shoe mount adapter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=146293&is=REG
Since the Senn. G2 kit comes with a shoe mount adapter, would this part let me mount the receiver vertically like it's supposed to be, and still have room for a mic on top?

Thanks
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #19
Major Player

If you READ the B&H description (Features) you can answer your own question.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #20
Regular Crew

uh... thanks...

I guess I should be more clear. I know that box provides attenuation, but does it really do anything that the DXA-8 combined with the AT8202 attenuator won't do?
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #21
Fred Retread

That ROLLS device is called a direct box. Its main function is to take an unbalanced (two section) 1/4" plug and convert it to a balanced 3 pin XLR jack. One common application is to take the output directly from an electric instrument to a sound board rather than amplify it and pick up the sound with a microphone. There are also 1/4" unbalanced outputs on sound boards that can be converted to balanced XLR for a cable run to your camera position, but you would find that use rare because there is usually a better option. The ground lift switch can often alleviate a ground loop hum. There is a gound lift switch on the DXA-8 also.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:56 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, Fred...

I have a quick question... I was just getting ready to place my order tonight, when I noticed something: I can't tell from the pictures if I can mount the Mini Rover between the DXA-8 adapter and the camera. It doesnt look like there is enough depth to the Mini Rover to do this... but if It's mounted underneath the DXA-8, then the handle would be too low and feel awkward.

Can someone please (quickly) assure me that the Mini Rover can be sandwitched between the Beachtek box and the GL2?

Thanks
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:07 PM   #23
Regular Crew

hey everyone... just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for their help (in this thread and the others i started). My order arrived today.

Here's some pics if anyone's interested:
http://homepage.mac.com/cwright3/PhotoAlbum49.html

I haven't had a whole lot of time to test everything yet, but it seems to be working great. The Senn G2 is awesome, but I haven't tried it at any great distances yet.

Here's one thing that bugs me though... with the AT3031 on the camera, I can't seem to get it's volume up loud enough, compared to the GL2's on-board speaker, without alot of hiss. MIC ATT is turned on, as well as the limiters on the Beachtek. Whenever I put the mic an inch or two away from the source, it sounds great, but at any further distance (like across a small room) the GL2's on-board mic is louder (albeit echo-y, but still louder).

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio