making XLR cables tips - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 6th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #31
Trustee

Hi Glenn,

Thanks

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson
Radio Shack and Markertek sell a "Dual Helping Hand" which is two alligator clips on a heavy base that works great for holding the work. Also, I use a small fan to blow that toxic smoke away from my face.

Toxic smoke???

I love the smell of rosin vapours in the morning! It smells .... electric! <grin>
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #33
Trustee

If you are going to be making custom lengths or are going to be doing a whoile studio, it might pay to get a good crimp tool and go with something like VM-2000 cable from Gepco. It is super cheap to make your own, IF you have a crimp tool for the specific cable and connector set.

Cable is in the range of 20 cents per foot in bulk wholesale. Usually that means buying 1000' of cable. Connectors are between $1.00 and $2.50 depending on type and manufacturer. Still, if you consider 2 BNC connectors and 100' of cable, that's only $25 for some good, flexible, high quality cable.

The great thing is, if you need custom lengths, you just make them. Makes for pretty rack installations if you can make custome lengths, and helps cut line losses if you don't have that extra 20' coiled up on the rack room floor.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #34
Trustee

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the information.

Regards
Leigh
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #35
Trustee

I am very confused. There are so many choices.
Here is the link.

Click here

Which one to select even for the same brand Canare Cable?

TIA

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson
www.markertek.com sells Canare Cable.
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #36

If this is for mobile or general work, just use their standard 2 conductor. It's tough, easy to solder, and is a very good/solid cable.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #37
Trustee

Hi Sean,

I don't do a whole studio. I make stabilizer and I want to record some introduction video of my stabilizer by my dad hold a boom with a Audio-Technica AT4073 shotgun microphone and I do the all talking. I will use some zoom shot and wide angle shot. What cable length do you think I should buy?

TIA

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
If you are going to be making custom lengths or are going to be doing a whoile studio, it might pay to get a good crimp tool and go with something like VM-2000 cable from Gepco. It is super cheap to make your own, IF you have a crimp tool for the specific cable and connector set.

Cable is in the range of 20 cents per foot in bulk wholesale. Usually that means buying 1000' of cable. Connectors are between $1.00 and $2.50 depending on type and manufacturer. Still, if you consider 2 BNC connectors and 100' of cable, that's only $25 for some good, flexible, high quality cable.

The great thing is, if you need custom lengths, you just make them. Makes for pretty rack installations if you can make custome lengths, and helps cut line losses if you don't have that extra 20' coiled up on the rack room floor.

Sean McHenry
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #38
Inner Circle

A good "short" length for field use in small spaces is probably about 25' (8.5 meters).
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #39
Trustee

Hi Seth,

Thanks for the answer. ;-)

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio