Lavalier placement - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 5th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #16

If the hat was extremely porous, yes, this will work to a degree. But if it's not, it will be quite muffled.
Overall, you can put a mic anywhere on the body and get some kind of pickup. The question is, do you want it clear and present, or muffled and distant? This is the kind of thing you test a few days before the shoot. Going out on a shoot with the idea of "I'm going to do this" without having tested it previously is crazy. Just the variables of the location are bad enough without knowing the specifics of the placement. Even small things like testing a mic in a warm living room or office will be thrown when you move to an outdoor alleyway in cold weather or early in the morning.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #17
Major Player

The characters are wearing turtlenecks and such so I was unable to use a buttonhole but I pinned the lavs about an inch above nipple level on top of the sweater and placed a very light scarf over them, secured the scarf so it wouldn't rustle and it actually sounded better than when it was exposed directly, I guess the thin scarf acted as kind of a windguard or something.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio