Oktava MK-012 Fig 8 Capsule experience? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 30th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Ching View Post
Hi Zack:
I don't see why you need ProMix6 for this setup. 702 got great pre-amps already. Microphones can be compared as the lenses for photography. Without good lens, no chance for qualtiy picture. I owned my first pair of Schoeps 9 years ago, they still serve the most important role to my job.
The mixer is just part of my rig.. i don't use it when recording location SFX, unless I have a need for mixing more than 2 mics to two tracks. Mixer is used in conjunction with the 702T on shoots for either back up for sync to the cameras and recording sound remotely for picture.
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Vermunt View Post
There is a solution between the 'top of the range' Schoeps and the 'low end' Oktava. The Sennheiser MKH 418 MS stereo mic. I am not a big fan of the Oktava's because they are succeptable to handling noise (even boomed) and the two mic rig will only make this worse.
I did look at the 418, but honestly if I'm even going to spend nearly 1/2 of what I could on the Schoeps set up, I would rather spend the 4k. I'm well aware of the MK-012's behaviors, but I'm pretty confident (especially with my tests so far rigging one in my shock mount), that this should work fairly well. We'll see what happens next week :)
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #18
Regular Crew

So I have all the parts, and I wanted to post a few pictures of what I got going so far for those interested. I have a plan for the back cap, so I'll have to get back on that. At first glance, this fig 8 capsule is HEAVY... big bigger than I expected as well, but still workable and fits well inside the Rode Blimp. The suspension bands I used were the original ones the Rode comes with for the top set, and I went to the hardware store to get some others that were not as flexible on the bottoms.

At first I attempted to use the fig 8 without the capsule caps on which was a bad bad mistake. These caps are to eliminate some sort of interferance between the two capsules, without them you'll get a bad hum... possibly 60Hz. Working as intended though, they seem to sound rather nice and the bi-polar pattern seems very solid. I'm headed out now to go find some stuff to record at the nearby park and enjoy the nice day.

http://soundgeekproductions.com/miscPics/012_MS_1.jpg
http://soundgeekproductions.com/miscPics/012_MS_2.jpg
http://soundgeekproductions.com/miscPics/012_MS_3.jpg
http://soundgeekproductions.com/miscPics/012_MS_4.jpg
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Spent about 4 hours roaming around the park recording some birds near some large ponds. Ended up having my low cut on most of the time since the park is nested right in the middle of some major streets and a freeway, so you'll probably hear some of that. I recorded at 24/96k, edited some sections together fast, Sides are panned hard left and right, and converted to 192kbs mp3 for these examples. Also, my MK-012's are not modified........yet.

http://soundgeekproductions.com/miscPics/sfx/Ducks.mp3
http://soundgeekproductions.com/miscPics/sfx/Geese.mp3
http://soundgeekproductions.com/misc...mall_Creek.mp3
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Not bad, Zack. Seemed to me there was some HF hiss on the ducks track, while the geese track (maybe better SN ratio?) was quite clean (and sonically interesting, taken out of context). Maybe a little harsh in the mids, but I am always a proponent of active (but subtle) EQ in post on almost every signal, so that doesn't scream dealkiller to me. Spatial sense was pretty good, the best I think in the ducks track. For the price and the situation, not a bad combo I'd say, although the broadband ambient noise masks some subtleties, but the traffic's not your fault. ;-)

I forget, or can't find it in the thread, but what kind of capsule is on your MK012 for the middle signal? Cardioid, hyper, super? Also, do you might reporting what the fig 8 capsule ran you, price wise?
Nathan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Ya I did notice the HF hiss when I was out, I'm hoping the mods I'll do later will help that out more, I got what I paid for :P . I ordered the fig 8 capsule from OktavaUSA direct for $350.00. Mid mic had regular cardioid (as you'll see in the pictures above a few posts), and no EQ was added post.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:42 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Can't edit my previous post with the pictures, so here's what I finally ended up with for dealing with the 2nd cable. Having a nice dual cable was just too expensive, "ideal", but too expensive. This worked great as well, and even better with the fur over to help hold the cable snug.

I'm just going to tie off the two cables lower down the slack so they don't knock each other during a gust of wind or shifting.

Pic 5
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:09 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Zack, great work and I didn't think you'd get those mics into the Blimp. Beaut pix too nice.

I'm not a fan of M/S indoors, too much chance for out of phase component for me. But I certainly appreciate what you're intending with your rig and I can imagine some great results especially if you lock onto some of these 3D films heading our way. Please keep us posted.

Cheers.
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #24
New Boot

oh dear the Okatava Fig8 seems a really pretty bad or ill conceived design. And $350 + the cost of a body electronics is not that cheap IMO

The 2 diaphragms are VERY far from Coincident (that is they are not in same place) I'm guessing from the photo's at least 40mm apart, probably more like 50mm+, or 2inch.

This will mean the resulting polar pattern will likely be totally & completely unlike a Fig8 above 1kHz. High end dual diaphragm mics like the AKG 414 which have their 2 diaphragms about 5-8mm apart start to "loose it" badly above 2kHz, this is compared to say a classic Ribbon mic or the Schoeps or Sennhieser designs that use a single diaphragm/ribbon to get the Bi-polar/ Cosign /Fig8 qualities.
For what a 414 can do, see http://www.microphone-data.com/microphone.asp?mic=1239

As to how much this matters, depends on if you want "imaging accuracy" or stuff being in the right place. Or/if you like an interesting stereo "shimmer" effect of the "fundamental" & the harmonics of a given sound source being randomly panned and spread between the L&R speakers.

I reckon a better option is:----
Ambient Products Emesser
It's much smaller lighter, they have sorted the cabling aspects and it has a 15dB equivalent SPL rated at DIN/IEC noise Fig, so it's not at all hissy.
Seems a bit expensive in the States, Eg $775 from B&H
ATE 208 EMESSER MINI FIGR of 8 MIC SET - Compare Prices

Mind you, I think this is the total package, mounting, cables etc, and is for sure way cheaper than the Schoeps or Sennhieser's that I use.
BTW I have no financial or other connection with Ambient.

John L
John Lundsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:13 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I hear what you're saying about quality and design, however 2 MK-012's + 1 Fig 8 capsule is still cheaper than the ATE (at least what I spent on them), and you're still one mic short for your Mid. This was my hole reasoning of going for the Oktava capsule instead of breaking the bank. Can you hear the difference between 40mm and 5mm spacing between capsules?.... I can't. However, I can hear the S/N difference, but that's something I'm willing to live with until I can afford what I really want.

Beggers can't be choosers, and I was definitely begging :P, thanks for the input John.... oh and I'm not an Oktava rep either :P just a typical consumer.
Old November 5th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #26
New Boot

Fair enough Zack, I'm sure your set-up will produce some pretty dam good results. Hey you can get a pretty interesting result with a (totally pretend MS pair) a mic pointing at the sound source and any other mic as a pseudo S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Allen View Post
Can you hear the difference between 40mm and 5mm spacing between capsules?.... I can't. However, I can hear the S/N difference, but that's something I'm willing to live with until I can afford what I really want.
Well I sure can hear 0mm spacing as in a Sennheiser MKH30 or a Schoeps MK8, gives a true Fig8 and V stable stereo. But that is only one idea of good Stereo, many people like widely spaced Omni's and they can sound great too IMO, in their way.
Agreed hiss is not a matter of opinion, it's just bad.
John L
John Lundsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Another good SFX Test with the MS rig. I was shooting a film out in the Mojave Desert the last 2 weeks which the set consisted of a fully operational carnival. This is what I got standing under the Ferris Wheel. Originally recorded at 24/192k on a 702T with the listed Oktava MS rig in this thread.

Ferris Wheel
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:07 PM   #28
Major Player

Very cool!
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Sorry for the empty links above, I had to do some ftp clean up a while back and broke some links. I have since reposted all the pictures and sound examples at this link Oktava MK-012 M/S Config for those interested.

~Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio