Help With EQing Sound System at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 12th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help With EQing Sound System

On my amplifier there is some filters and I don't understand what they really do. They are two notch filters with different frequencies and a rumble filter.

I'm working mainly with voice actors will I benefit from having these on? Also at what frequency is human voice at?

On the mixer I have High, two Mids, and a Low EQ setting. What should I focus on when adjusting EQ for voice? I know each person's voice is different but what are the suggested settings. Should I turn on the low pass filter?

Also, I get a lot of feedback how can I prevent this?

I know this asking a lot but I appreciate every bit of help

Thanks a lot,
Anthony
Anthony Meluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #2
Tourist

Anthony,

The way I understand it, you will get most benefits from EQing voice in the mids. I would also play around will blocking lows (very lows) and very highs. Yes, it's hard to say difinitively, as each voice is different.

Good luck!
-Greg
Greg Covey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:36 AM   #3
Trustee

I am not sure what brand of amp that you have, but most professional
amplifiers do not have EQ or notch filters on them.
I think that Crown is one of the few that I would actually use and their
card is an expensive option. In the case of the lower end, I would bypass
if possible or set to null.

In either case, most pro audio guys would use a computer
audio analyzing system like Spectra Foo or Smart to "shoot the room"
(with pink noise), sample the difference between mixer output and
speakers, so that you can actually see what is actually happening
sonically in the space.
THEN, use an outboard EQ (Usually a 1/3 octave) to make things flat
or set the amps internal card appropriately.
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Could you give us some more details about your equipment (make and model) and the scenario you're dealing with? The fact that you're getting feedback suggests a live sound situation (as opposed to studio recording).

On the feedback note, this has a lot to do with the microphone you're using, where it's located (in relation to the speakers), what direction it's pointing, and what its pickup pattern is. Essentially feedback is just sound coming out of the speakers and getting back into the mic. With a typical unidirectional mic (Shure SM58 is a popular one for live handheld use) make sure its not in front of the speakers and is pointing away from them. Omnidirectional mics *can* be problematic in live situations (not always, but more often than not) since they do not have a "null zone" (a direction where they don't pick up sound, like the cord end of a unidirectional mic). Omnis are fine for recording only; they just need extra precautions for live sound.

There are things that can be done with EQs to reduce feedback, but mic placement should be the first consideration.

Hope this helps. Post back with more info on your setup.
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio