help! - problems with voiceover/narration - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:16 AM   #16
New Boot

Hey Jay - thank you (and all of you here) for helping me out.

I am using a DXA-2s Beachtek. When I set it on MIC level input, I could not hear anything when it played back. When I switched it to line, I could hear the track, albeit quite low - thus the need to normalize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill
Which BeachTek model do you have?
How are you powering the AT897?
How far away from the mic are you?

There are several steps for setting the BeachTek correctly for the best levels, but I won't mention them til I know which model to be certain of what I'm detailing. Unless there's something very wrong with your BeachTek, it will have to be set to MIC level input, not LINE level or you won't get any signal through it.
After the BeachTek settings, as already mentioned, the PC mic jack is probably the next biggest culprit. Depending on how it is wired you may be getting a lot of cancellation of the signal using the BeachTek.
After that, the software settings (Windows and Vegas) for recording are very important for getting good levels. Your software will show your recording levels. You should be working to get levels between -12db and -6db for an original recording, depending on how you will use this program you're editing.
Marc Lipschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:36 AM   #17
Trustee

Ok, some things to check.
Do you have a fresh alkaline AA battery with clean contacts (no fingerprints) installed correctly in the mic?
Is the BeachTek mini-plug fully seated in the sound card MIC jack?
Do you know if the pc mic jack is mono or stereo? (more on that later)
Are you certain your XLR cable between the mic and the BeachTek is good and wired correctly?
Plug the mic into the left channel of the BeachTek and set both controls to MIC level and both rotary controls to "10". Set the switch to MONO. Do a test recording after checking your Windows sound controls and your recording software controls and meters. Use the mic about 18 inches from your mouth.
If it's still low, then flip the BeachTek switch to STEREO. Try the recording test again.
If it's still low, plug the mic into the Right channel and record again with the switch in the STEREO position.
One of these combinations should give you a proper level depending on how your PC mic jack is wired.
If you are getting higher levels using the LINE setting on the BeachTek after going through this procedure, then your BeachTek is either defective or labeled incorrectly.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio