Tram TR50 over Countryman B6? (B6 no good in field?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 14th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tram TR50 over Countryman B6? (B6 no good in field?)

I've been doing heavy research for wireless lavs, and I've narrowed it down to the Tram TR50 because of it's durability, accessories, & ease with cutting between a shotgun.

Yet I am very interested in the Countryman B6 for it's amazing size and sound, yet one thing is holding me back. I hear from people that outside, this isn't the best lav.

I do short films, documentary stuff, etc. so I'm in the field quite often. Can anyone back up this claim? Should I stick with my Tram (and G3 I plan on getting) or should I be persuaded the Countryman B6 is the way to go?

Much appreciated!

--David
David Aviv Nussbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Both have pros and cons. Obviously, the B6 is easy to hide (in plain site if needed) but more subject to wind noise. The TR50 is physically easier to work with and faster in general due to it's larger size head, cable, clips, ect. (the B6's cable is extremely thin and a real pain to mount a vampire or lapel clip on.. like threading a needle)
IMO, if I had to choose just one, for mostly hidden mic work: the B6; Otherwise, the TR50.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Consider the Countryman B3 as well. Though it gets less press than the B6, it's just a bit larger, sounds the same, is cheaper and hides well. It's the choice I made when I was in the same predicament.
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

+1 on the B3. Hiding, of course, also gives you wind protection...a small amount. :)
Old October 17th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Tram's are popular, however I would go with the B3 or B6. Then go get some Rycote Undercovers and you'll be good.
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I use both the Trams and the B6s. They both sound good to me. Different, but both good. The Tram sounds a bit more natural and open but is harder to hide. The B6 sounds very good but has a somewhat thinner sound overall than the Tram. Mics are like golf clubs, you really end up needing a whole bag of them, different ones work better for certain situations.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio