2in1Q: Best Condenser and Best Shotgun microphones - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:34 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
As Steve suggested, it will be very difficult to get professional results shooting your film with the microphone attached to the camera.
Dave,

Understood, I will NOT do that then. That I did not know, and now I know thanks to you and to Steve.

I greatly appreciate your advice.

Have a wonderful week!

Best Reagards,

Ben Tolosa
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #17
Major Player

I used a Rode NTG-2 on a Sony V1U steadicam camera that I really didn't plan on using the audio from when filming an outdoor wedding last summer.

I had lapel mics on the groom and minister but discoverd in editing the minister moved it to where his clothing was causing a lot of noise. For the vows the steadicam operator was approximately 15 feet from the minister, bride, and groom. To my surprise the audio from the NTG2 sounded great. There was the ambience of the outdoor setting but the minister and the bride and groom were crystal clear.

Even more amazingly the Rode Video Mic I had set up on my little Canon HV20 backup 3rd camera picked up usable audio from the DJ's speaker at least 70 feet away.

I can only imagine what the Rode NTG-3 performance must be based on the great succes I have had with the older less expensive Rode models.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Ammons View Post

I had lapel mics on the groom and minister but discoverd in editing the minister moved it to where his clothing was causing a lot of noise. .
This is why you should always monitor your audio during a shoot!

All the best!
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I knocked this up a few months ago to show the difference between different sort of mics because price doesn't necessarily equate to quality - depends on the circumstances.

Doesn't have a real solid conclusion but at least lets you hear different microphones and what they 'sound' like.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
This is why you should always monitor your audio during a shoot!

All the best!
Hmmm....somehow I doubt having my headphones on while operating the camera on the Kessler crane fifty feet from where the minister started speaking would have helped right in the middle of the wedding ceremony.

I did a voice check after putting the mics on the minister and groom with my headphones and things were great. However they had about 15 minutes from that time until they started speaking to move things around!
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #21
New Boot

mics and the 150

Real nice job Paul...
I've got an HMC150, and don't have millions to spend, so I ended up Audio T AT807 for the shotgun/book mic for my setup. Once again, it comes back, IMHO to what is your target delivery platform? Since I'm targeting Youtube, dvds, iPhone size devices and maybe TV Monitors at largest, I think I'm getting decent sound quality with this setup. I'm using an AT Lavs, and an AT P48 Cardiod. I'm not fooling myself, I know that these are not 'high end' standards, but they seem to work just fine for my needs. I've got an Octava on order, along with an ATW-T1802 to plug into a mic to sort of 'round out' the kit. Next big spend will likely be a field mixer, as I'm ok mixing on my camera for interviews when the person is sitting, but would like a bit more flexibility when on the run or doing more flexible shooting scenes.

You might want to check out the excellent post "As I hear it" by Ken Stone.
As I Hear It - Choosing the Right Microphone

It's sort of a reference standard in my books. A very solid review.
Alf Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Ammons View Post
Hmmm....somehow I doubt having my headphones on while operating the camera on the Kessler crane fifty feet from where the minister started speaking would have helped right in the middle of the wedding ceremony.

I did a voice check after putting the mics on the minister and groom with my headphones and things were great. However they had about 15 minutes from that time until they started speaking to move things around!

Sorry, I'm not going to argue the specifics.
Bottom line... If audio is important someone on your crew will find a way to monitor it!

All the Best!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio