Sennheiser G2 to Soundboard at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 21st, 2010, 04:31 PM   #1
New Boot

Sennheiser G2 to Soundboard

Hi everybody.

Sorry for such a simplistic question, I thought I had this handled, but I am having a problem.

I have a set of Sennheiser G2 wireless mics. At a recent event, I plugged the transmitter into an "out" on the soundboard via an XLR cable and the receiver was connected to a camera. The audio sounded "overdriven". Is the "out" powered and is that why I am having the problem? Should I be looking for an "unpowered" connection?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian
Brian Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Trustee

The soundboard "out" is likely line level, about 50 db hotter than mike level. I have used the Senny xlr-transmitter (butt-plug, they call it, sorry) in this situation with the input level adjusted down --iirc it goes to -40db-and that worked passably. If this is something you might do routinely you might look at an xlr in-line attenuator --- Audio Technica makes a nice adjustable one for a reasonable price --- see B&H or Markertek.com...../Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

As Battle Vaughan said, adding a 30-50dB in-line attenuator will work and is the easiest.
Another option is buying or making an input cable using the 'Ring' conductor as hot, on the transmitter cable's 1/8" input plug. (float or tie the 'Tip' to ground/shield)
However... this is only good for -10dB levels, but this is readily available on most mixers.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:43 PM   #4
New Boot

Battle,
that makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to help. I did some more research on the internet and found even more information based on your suggestions.

I think we have it figured out.

Thanks again for your help.

Brian
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:49 PM   #5
New Boot

Rick,
Thank you for your help, I do appreciate it.

I learn something every time I'm here.

Brian
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Major Player

The input of the G2 transmitter has 3 lines, one for the ground, one for the mic and one for line input. I just don't remember which is the line input, the tip or the center.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:45 AM   #7
Major Player

The G2 mini-jack has the line input connected ring and sleeve only with the tip not connected (though on the new G3 you have to short tip to sleeve).

There are volts on the tip (mic. i/p) to power a mic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio