Recording problem with Sony D50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 14th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Tourist

Recording problem with Sony D50

We have had our D50 for a few months now, using it only occasionally, but over the weekend it started to misbehave. The problem was that it would start recording but nothing would show on the levels and the files would be completely blank. I am as sure as I can be that I did everything the same as normal. However, when a friend held it in his hand it started working, showing levels and recording sound. He did not press any of the buttons.

I tried again later and the problem was solved by flicking the switch to line input and back to mics, but that wasn't consistent. When that didn't work, I gave it to my friend and again it started working simply by placing it on his palm. Even if he is magic or has a special equipment-healing forcefield (which I doubt), it is impractical to have him around all the time as he lives 300 miles away.

Has anyone else had this intermittent problem and know of a solution? I wonder about whether we should send it back to be checked.
Mark Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Mine has been trouble free for over a year.
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Trustee

Mark,
You have to try and figure out if the intermittent problem is coming from the recorder or your inputs to the recorder. Does the recorder have a problem using its internal mics or only external inputs? Do you have a different cable for the external source to see if the problem is there? Stereo mini inputs or cables do wear out or break rather easily so you have to be methodical in eliminating the variables so you can decide if it is your recorder (less Likely but not impossible) or the input cables (more likely but not always)
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Inner Circle

No trouble here. Remove and re-connect the batteries their box and the card. Even if I'm not using them I flip all the switches on all my gear occasionally.

Using a spot of brasso, wipe all minijacks they oxidise in the atmosphere.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio