Microphone Question for PD-170 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 7th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Microphone Question for Auto Racing/Drag Racing

Hello,

I've been reading about the PD170 Microphone and wondering if it will be something that I should change out. The majority of my work will be following drag racing which can get pretty loud if I am filming from close up.

I am new to the PD170 and only been doing video stuff for a couple of years so I am still learning a lot.

Any recommendations on how to handle this with the included mic, or one to look into to replace?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Frank Peterson; July 8th, 2005 at 02:44 PM.
Frank Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #2
Wrangler

You really need something like a Shure SM81 that can handle a lot of overpressure. I use it for racing, SWAT, and model engine work. It sounds good too.

Folks, posts like this belong in 'Now Hear This forum.' It is not a camera-specific question, it is a sound question and the folks in that forum are well equipped to answer it in great detail.

Also, this question has been asked and answered so many times, as has so many others that I am asking you to do a search as part of your investigation. There is probably very little new under the sun for these cameras with regard to accessories . . . it has been answered before in most cases.

That does not mean don't post, by the way. Just do a search first on your new questions.
Old July 7th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mike,

I wasn't sure if either forum would apply, thanks for the move. I spent quite a bit of time researching but a lot of the threads tend to go on tangents and it's been hard for me, who is somewhat new to this, to focus in on the information that applies to me...

Thanks for the info as well, I appreciate it.

Frank
Old July 9th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I think I'll go ahead and look at the SM81 then.

Would it be a bad idea to look at mounting this on the camcorder? I suppose I can look into a stand or something else to catch sound if possible, just much more work involved....

Thanks
Old July 9th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #5

You can mount this to the camcorder, but you'll always do better if your mic can remain stationary, allowing the camera to move. Audio changes with visual perspective, and this isn't something you often want to have going on with your product. If you want the listener to be transported as you move the camera, that's fine, but overall, you generally want your audio to remain stationary. You can always manipulate it in post, should you need to.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks, I hadn't thought of it in that way.

I was wondering about creating a mount to mount to the tripod...? It would be somewhat more compact, still stationary.
Old August 14th, 2005, 07:26 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rehmus
You really need something like a Shure SM81 that can handle a lot of overpressure. I use it for racing, SWAT, and model engine work. It sounds good too.

Folks, posts like this belong in 'Now Hear This forum.' It is not a camera-specific question, it is a sound question and the folks in that forum are well equipped to answer it in great detail.

Also, this question has been asked and answered so many times, as has so many others that I am asking you to do a search as part of your investigation. There is probably very little new under the sun for these cameras with regard to accessories . . . it has been answered before in most cases.

That does not mean don't post, by the way. Just do a search first on your new questions.
I have a ME66 mounted on CHannel 2 and a Senhiesser G2 112 wireless reciever on channel 1.. The ME66 does a real good job in my opinion..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio