Audio Clicking Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 7th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #1
New Boot

Audio Clicking Problem

I am having a real fit of a time. The following two audio files are from the same clip. I use DV Rack from Serious Magic to capture the audio (first file) and then use Ultra (also from Serious Magic) to render the file using some virtual sets. I have tried this with both a shotgun and a wireless mic and the same thing happens. I have used various Codecs in Ultra and again no change. Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?

Help or guidance would be appreciated.

DV Rack Audio:

http://65.27.128.219:8085/8e8d3170-9...d-a96fee58995a

Ultra Audio:

http://65.27.128.219:8085/d8ff862c-4...9-acb3506d3ed7
Tom Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It almost sounds overmodulated, but that's probably not the case. I get a similar problem from time to time, and I get around it by loading the audio into GoldWave (or your favorite audio editor) and using the filter that removes scratches/ticks/pops from vinyl records.

I downloaded your Ultra Audio file and did exactly that, and the results are here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jdthed...io_Cleaned.wav

I also fixed it so it comes out of both speakers.
John Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #3
New Boot

Mono Mic

Yeah, this was recorded from the camcorder with a mono mic. I will have to see what tool that I have that will remove the clicks.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Tom
Tom Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM   #4
Serious Magic

Tom,

We have fixed one problem that resulted in a periodic clicking in ULTRA output. With a sample clip that one of our customers sent in, it occurred first at 1:30 (mm:ss), lasted about 25 seconds, then recurred every 1:05 thereafter, each time for 25 seconds. I've also isolated another bug involving a less pronounced clicking artifact that seems to be isolated to AVI Type 1 input clips. It does not have the same kind of time pattern but tends to fluctuate in how loud the clicks are. One of our software engineers is digging into this problem as I write. We'll have a patch out as soon as he nails it.

Which mold does your clicking fit into? If the latter, then what file format did you record the clips in DV Rack? (Your links appear to be dead, so I couldn't check for myself.)
Old August 14th, 2005, 07:12 AM   #5
New Boot

Ultra2 Audio

Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Wasn't sure if this was an Ultra2 issue or an issue with my audio and PC used for editing.

Regarding your question regarding which type of problem I am having. Maybe a mix. I notice that the "clicking" becomes noticeable around the 3 minute mark. I also have one situation where the clicking and other audio distortion becomes apparent about the same point. I am capturing in DV Rack using Type 1 AVI.

I have been communicating with the Ultra support team via e-mail and have been told that a patch is in the works. Must say Serious Magic seems much more reponsive than some other software vendors I have worked with.

I am much more hopeful of actually having this fixed now that I know it is in the hands of the SM team.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Sandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio