Does the FCC ban the 700mhz only? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 17th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does the FCC ban the 700mhz only?

Does the new FCC ban on wireless transmitters restrict the 700mhz area or are there other freq. effected?. Mine works down on the lower end around 160mhz I think but it's one of the older ones so I want to be sure.

If anybody knows, Thanks!
Art
Art White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #2
Trustee

There are thousands of restrictions all up and down the radio bands.

The 700mHz band is simply the most visible one these days because it has been stripped of the primary (TV broadcasting) and secondary (wireless mics and other low-power devices) uses. The government has recycled the band and has subdivided it and is selling it off for billions of dollars to wireless device operators.

There is no imminent ban on other common wireless mic frequencies if that's what you are asking. If you are asking more generally about what kinds of things can operate in which bands, there is much more info than you probably want at the FCC website.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 05:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks,
I started on the FCC website before I posted but the site is a bit overbearing. I have some cheaper Azden wireless mics I bought 8 years ago. They are in the 160mhz range. An Email to Azden yielded nothing yet. I was hoping if these were restricted, Azden would offer a trade in for one's that were not. We'll see.

Thanks for responding
Art
Art White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Those VHF mics haven't been affected by the spectrum changes,
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have a g2 system in the 700 MHz zone. What are my options?
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #6
Trustee

You might be able to get away with continuing to use them maybe even for another year or two (or three?) But depending on where you are and exactly what frequencies, you will probably start getting interference from the new owners of the band.

Of course, there is always the possibility (although apparently pretty small) of actually interfering with safety services. And I wouldn't risk it in the neighborhood of an FCC field office.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:26 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Most of the wireless manufacturers (including Sennheiser USA) has extended their 700MHz rebate programs. Since the FCC keeps extending the cut-off date I guess. Currently June 12th.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio