Record from Zoom H4n's Headphone Jack at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Trustee

Record from Zoom H4n's Headphone Jack

Here is what I am thinking and hope works: connect the Zoom H4n to the stage mixer to record the live audio; connect the H4n's headphone jack into a Sony UWP Wireless transmitter; using a Sony wireless receiver on both Sony EX1's to record that audio so I can easily sync the 2 cameras in post as well as sync the cameras to the Zoom in post.

I will be renting the H4n so I can't test this myself. Also, I assume the wireless transmitter should be set to Line input (rather than Mic), correct?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that this setup is based on the presumption that the mixer only has a single output, otherwise I should be able to output to both the H4n and wireless transmitter.

Thanks

Last edited by Steve Kalle; May 1st, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Connect the H4n's headphone jack into a Sony UWP Wireless transmitter?
- That should work. A little noisy maybe, but fine for sync ref.

I assume the wireless transmitter should be set to Line input (rather than Mic), correct?
- Yes, if the Sony has a mic/line switch. (note: The Sennheiser & Lectros' need a different input cable for line level) Set the receiving devices record level adj. to unity and adjust the H4's headphone volume.

Should I be able to output to both the H4n and wireless transmitter?
- You could probably use a 'Y' cable, but not one balanced and the other unbalanced.
Most console type mixers have ample main outputs, XLR, 1/4" & RCA, in addition to at least two Aux. sends. Usually 1/4".

Caution: For most wireless transmitters, "Line level" means -10dB, so a pad could come in handy.

Give yourself ample time to setup and test, since this an untried set-up with some rental gear.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Trustee

Rick, thank you for the reply. However, forgive me for my lack of knowledge in reference to the next few questions.

"Set the receiving devices record level adj. to unity" Is this a specific setting within the Sony receiver or what else could it be called? But this really won't matter if I can plug the wireless transmitter directly to the mixer, right?

Lets assume the mixer has XLR, 1/4" and Aux sends. Does it matter which one I use for the H4n or for the wireless transmitter? I have a Sony plug-on transmitter, 2 transmitter body-packs and 2 receivers. My original idea was to use a single transmitter and send to both receivers.
1) Is there any problem using 1 transmitter and 2 receivers? (or is there any benefit to using 2 transmitters)
2) What is better as the transmitter: the plug-on or the body-pack?
3) Which input should be selected, Mic or Line for the H4n if using XLR or 1/4"? Same question for the wireless transmitter?

4) "For most wireless transmitters, "Line level" means -10dB, so a pad could come in handy" What is a pad and should I buy anything extra?

5) For recording live music, is the H4n good enough or would the Fostex FR-2LE recorder do a better job? (its only $18 more to rent)
I bring this up because of what little I do know about pre-amps. AFAIK, the H4n does not allow individual level control for each channel. Wouldn't I want to set each channel's pre-amp and levels slightly different; so, it can record lower volume sources, such as a person talking in addition to the louder music?

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Last edited by Steve Kalle; May 1st, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

0) Lets assume the mixer has XLR, 1/4" and Aux sends. Does it matter which one I use
---- The Aux. (Auxiliary) sends would give you the option of a totally separate mix from the house, or a pseudo separate mix from the house, depending if you use the pre-fader or post-fader aux. send... and if there's someone mixing... (and if they're not being used for monitors or effects)

1) Is there any problem using 1 transmitter and 2 receivers? (or is there any benefit to using 2 transmitters)
---- I may have misunderstood your question: One transmitter / Two (or more) receivers, all on the same frequency. That would be best in this situation.

2) What is better as the transmitter: the plug-on or the body-pack?
---- In your up-coming scenario, I can't think of any, though the plug-in is balanced, whether the Sony can handle a line level signal, I don't know. That said, an unbalanced feed to the body pack would be fine in a short cable run.

3) Which input should be selected, Mic or Line for the H4n if using XLR or 1/4"? Same question for the wireless transmitter?
--- If the output device is LINE, then the input should be LINE. The H4N has a combo connector as I recall, I don't know if it's switchable or auto.. when a 1/4" is plugged in. See the manual ( note: Most Mackie mixers, such as the VLX series, have a mic/line switch for the XLR main out.)

4) "For most wireless transmitters, "Line level" means -10dB, so a pad could come in handy" What is a pad and should I buy anything extra?
---- Although Steve could explain this more eloquently.. A pad is an attenuator and educes the voltage. (audio signal) Excess voltage will cause distortion. (Extreme example: Line level, +4dB, into mic level, -60dB) (To reduce line to mic level, 'typically' a 50dB pad would be used. Reducing +4 to -10, 'typically' a 15dB pad.)

5) For recording live music, is the H4n good enough or would the Fostex FR-2LE recorder do a better job? (its only $18 more to rent)
---- The Fostex is a much better recorder IMO. (and easier to work with) The advantage of the Zoom H4n, is it can record 4-tracks simultaneously.

I bring this up because of what little I do know about pre-amps. AFAIK, the H4n does not allow individual level control for each channel. Wouldn't I want to set each channel's pre-amp and levels slightly different; so, it can record lower volume sources, such as a person talking in addition to the louder music?
---- Yes, But I do not own a H4n and I'm not sure of the features Others on this forum are more qualified to comment on this. You should download the PDF manual for the Zoom and the Fostex.
Cheers, Rick

Last edited by Rick Reineke; May 1st, 2010 at 08:59 PM.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio