Lavalier Wireless System recommendation: G3 or 1821? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:13 AM   #16
Major Player

Thanks very much guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
The G2 & G3 both have the same mic (ME2), but they are great little wireless systems. The G3 is an improvement as it upgrades to using passive diversity. I purchased a Sanken COS11d lav to go with it, and it sounds very nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
I said this before in other threads, but the G2/3's GUI displays more info, specifically gain meters and easier freg. scans then the AT. Both systems have they're pros and cons.
I wonder if Sennheiser considering making an 'affordable' dual channel receiver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
Love my g2 and g3 wireless lavs. Solid, reliable and sound great.
Hey Chad, Rick and Robert:

Thanks very much for your answers and input. I am still undecided, but I think I am 51% with the G3 that come with the TRAM TR50+ lav mics.

But still going back and forth with the 1821 as well.

But all of these feedback has been very helpful, so thanks to you all!!!!

Kind Regards,

Ben Tolosa
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:09 PM   #17
Major Player

Ben I guess you need to think about how often you'll be running 2 wireless mics at once. The AT 1821 Dual system has a large receiver. Do you want to deal with that every time you go wireless? It does have diversity reception that will give you less drop outs, but for me at least the jury is still out on whether the sound quality is better - regarding the reports of there being more of a noise floor. I have not heard any A/B comparisons between the G3 and the AT1821. Can anybody speak to that? Anyway, I can say that I don't get too many drop outs with the G3, but more importantly for me, the audio quality is pretty good. If I had to deal with a constant hiss from noise that would outweigh having less dropouts. So I can't tell if the reports of the 1821 noisefloor have been greatly exaggerated. Maybe the G3 has more noise?

All I can say is that when I use my G3 with a Sanken COS11D I am happy with the results. Same when using a hand held mic with the G3 plug on transmitter. Side Story: Last night I was doing a wedding and I needed to record the toasts. I couldn't hand them my mic to pass around because they were using a wired mic the DJ gave them, going through the PA. Well I took my plug-on transmitter and attached it to the output of one of the powered monitors from the PA. I slapped a -20db in-line attenuator between the PA and the Plug-on, and I captured all the toasts flawlessly. That thing is really helpful when you can't run a cable.

Can anyone who's used both say if the 1821 has more noise than the G3?
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:34 PM   #18
Trustee

check out my video review of the G3. you can hear it in action with the supplied ME2 mic ( yuck ) and a COS-11.. nice !

for your purposes, it will be ok, the real issue is the mic you are using. the audio and RF performance are good for the price.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM   #19
Major Player

ME-2 vs. COS11D

Just to add to Steve's Demo I'm throwing up my ME-2 vs COS11D video - both going through Sennheiser wireless units. My demo is more casual, but I cut back & forth between the mics multiple times to give you a lot of A-B to really hear the difference. After I put the mics under my shirt I wasn't digging the sound quality, I think because they were behind not only the shirt, but the decal stitched onto the shirt which I think muffled the sound. But for just a cotton T-Shirt I think you'd have a better sound. I also played dome guitar just as an experiment because I believe I heard that they used the COS11d for vocals on that show "Music in High Places" that featured bands playing acoustically (mostly) out in nature. I'm not sure where they placed these mics, and I'm sure they didn't use Sennheiser wireless units. Most likely hard wired down the pant leg or a nice Lectro system. Anyway here's my little comparison...

Recorded straight into a Sony EX1.

Old August 29th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #20
Major Player

Awesome...

Quote:
Ben I guess you need to think about how often you'll be running 2 wireless mics at once. The AT 1821 Dual system has a large receiver. Do you want to deal with that every time you go wireless? It does have diversity reception that will give you less drop outs, but for me at least the jury is still out on whether the sound quality is better - regarding the reports of there being more of a noise floor. I have not heard any A/B comparisons between the G3 and the AT1821. Can anybody speak to that? Anyway, I can say that I don't get too many drop outs with the G3, but more importantly for me, the audio quality is pretty good. If I had to deal with a constant hiss from noise that would outweigh having less dropouts. So I can't tell if the reports of the 1821 noisefloor have been greatly exaggerated. Maybe the G3 has more noise?

All I can say is that when I use my G3 with a Sanken COS11D I am happy with the results. Same when using a hand held mic with the G3 plug on transmitter. Side Story: Last night I was doing a wedding and I needed to record the toasts. I couldn't hand them my mic to pass around because they were using a wired mic the DJ gave them, going through the PA. Well I took my plug-on transmitter and attached it to the output of one of the powered monitors from the PA. I slapped a -20db in-line attenuator between the PA and the Plug-on, and I captured all the toasts flawlessly. That thing is really helpful when you can't run a cable.

Can anyone who's used both say if the 1821 has more noise than the G3?
Hey Chad, I just wanted to thank you for all of this very valuable information. I have a good point, how many times do I need to wireless mics. Probably very few. As of today, I believe I am going to end up going with a G3.

And also with the Sanken COS11D, which I've heard the best everywhere.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to answer!!
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #21
Major Player

Wow! Super great quality video review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
check out my video review of the G3. you can hear it in action with the supplied ME2 mic ( yuck ) and a COS-11.. nice !

Sennheiser G3 Wireless Mic Review on Vimeo

for your purposes, it will be ok, the real issue is the mic you are using. the audio and RF performance are good for the price.

Hey Steve, that was awesome. And yes, you can clearly notice the difference with the COS11D. Really well done video, I was blown away.

Thanks very much for sharing it!

I am going to go with that set up, G3 + COS11D ^_^
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #22
Major Player

Casual but GREAT!

Quote:
Just to add to Steve's Demo I'm throwing up my ME-2 vs COS11D video - both going through Sennheiser wireless units. My demo is more casual, but I cut back & forth between the mics multiple times to give you a lot of A-B to really hear the difference. After I put the mics under my shirt I wasn't digging the sound quality, I think because they were behind not only the shirt, but the decal stitched onto the shirt which I think muffled the sound. But for just a cotton T-Shirt I think you'd have a better sound. I also played dome guitar just as an experiment because I believe I heard that they used the COS11d for vocals on that show "Music in High Places" that featured bands playing acoustically (mostly) out in nature. I'm not sure where they placed these mics, and I'm sure they didn't use Sennheiser wireless units. Most likely hard wired down the pant leg or a nice Lectro system. Anyway here's my little comparison...

Recorded straight into a Sony EX1.

Lavaliere Shootout: Sanken COS-11D Vs. Sennheiser ME-2 on Vimeo

Chad,

Yes, more casual but fantastic as well. I loved the guitar improv song ;)

Really appreciate your input and I have decided to go with a G3 + COS11D as a set up.

Thanks very much again for ALL of your input!
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #23
Major Player

Ben I'm glad you found something to suit your needs.

Now start saving up for a Lectrosonics wireless system!
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tolosa View Post
Hey Steve, that was awesome. And yes, you can clearly notice the difference with the COS11D. Really well done video, I was blown away.

Thanks very much for sharing it!

I am going to go with that set up, G3 + COS11D ^_^
You're welcome !
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:03 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Ben I'm glad you found something to suit your needs.

Now start saving up for a Lectrosonics wireless system!
^_^

Hahah, yes I will start saving and hopefully by 2015 I will get one for sure ;)

Have a wonderful week!!
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio