beachtek dxa 4 cable issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 28th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Major Player

beachtek dxa 4 cable issue

Hello,

I used the beachtek dxa 4 with my vx2100 and have determined that the cable has become faulty causing static anytime it's moved. Is this repairable or I'm better off just getting a new XLR adapter? If so, any recommendations? Btw, don't really need phantom power just want something that gives clean audio from my sennheiser ew100 wireless.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #2
Trustee

Same thing happened to our Beachtek box at the office. When I inquired about replacement cords, they sent me two new ones for free. Removing the bad cord and replacing it isn't trivial, but it's not rocket surgery, either.

OTOH, if you are just going from a wireless receiver into a camcorder, a simple adapter cable would probably do the job just fine.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Richard. I will contact Beachtek. I will also take the other option into consideration.
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #4
Trustee

It could be a bad cable on the BeachTek, or it is also possible that the blocking capacitors (inside the BeachTek) are no longer successfully dealing with the plug-in power coming from the mic jack of the camera. Any time the cable is moved this could also cause noise problems even if the cable itself is ok.
Do you have any other device handy that records with a stereo mini-jack mic input and doesn't have plug-in power on the jack? If so I'd test the BeachTek with it to try and confirm the problem is the cable.
(Also try cleaning the plug thoroughly if you haven't already, that can cause noise when the cable is moved too.)

Last edited by Jay Massengill; July 29th, 2010 at 09:38 AM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Jay, I have another XLR device that gives no static at all when plugged in the mic/line port.
That's why I concluded that it was the beachtek plug.
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Trustee

I'm saying the capacitors in the BeachTek could be bad. You need to test the BeachTek with a different recorder that doesn't have plug-in power to know whether it's the cable or an internal problem with the BeachTek.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Major Player

I fixed the problem by opening the box and removing the cables from the board using my soldering iron. I cut some of the original cable and re-soldered back to board. Luckily it works like a charm. I guess that
high school electronics class finally came in handy;-)
Troy Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio