The art of adding audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 15th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #1
New Boot

The art of adding audio

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but here it goes. There is a lot of talk here about the technology of collecting and editing the audio. A lot on what to use. But how do you learn how to effectively use additional audio in the production. A major point being the addition of music. I watch movies and realize that there seems to be a lot of music in the movies I watch but it seems to be done in such a way that I don't even notice it until I listen specifically for it. But then I realize that if it were not there it would take away from the movie content. How does one learn the art of placing that content? Is it a lot of trial and error or are their guidelines with which to start?
Jon Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Best thing is to buy a book on the subject and then start listening to how various people construct their sound tracks.

Like many things, you need to play with it yourself to find out what works. There's no absolute set way of doing things, although there are certain things that annoy audiences eg not being able to understand the dialogue. There are normal ways of doing things, but good sound editors or designers are always pushing the edges

Also, clients may have certain expectations which may be limiting.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #3
New Boot

That's the start I was looking for. I was doing Google searches and all just ended up down the wrong path.
Jon Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks for the link Brian. That book appears to be exactly what I've been looking for also. I have Jay Rose's book 'Producing Great Sound for Film and Video' which has been extremely helpful but it doesn't cover what this book appears to. Thanks again
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Brian. It sounds great.
Order placed.
Have already got Jay Rose's book too.
You should have set up a shop ;-)
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #6
DVCreators.Net

There's a great DVD that I found to be helpful called, "Sound for Film and Television." If you're really curious about how professional sound is accomplished, then you're apt to experience what I'd call a few "a-ha" moments while watching.

Here's a sample on YouTube that you might want to check out YouTube - Sound for Film and Television Instructional DVD from Barry Green and WBS

If you're more of a book person, also take a look at Jay Rose's "Producing Great Sound for Film and Video" Digital Playroom: Audio for TV and New Media

Another way to learn is by finding a local professional and hiring them for a project. Then watch what they use and hopefully they'll be open to answering questions to your specific type of projects. It's a lot of fun to learn about audio, the audio section here on dvinfo is a great place to start right away. Lots of great info to search through and some super helpful folks in here. Try sorting the Audio Forum by "Views" or "Replies" by clicking on them and reading through some of the most popular discussions to get some insight as to what others have been asking. There's years of high quality info in here.
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Guy for the link to the DVD. It looks like it would be a very good resource to have.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 08:02 AM   #8
Major Player

In case anyone else reads this and is looking for some feedback on the book that Bryan Drysdale recommended: 'Sound Design' by David Sonnenschein.
It's the best book that I have read on the creative use of sound. I'm really pleased that I bought it. It's given me lots of useful ideas and has stimulated a lot of thinking.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Well that's another one sold!

Went and read all the reviews on amazon's uk site after seeing this thread and, bearing in mind just how inexpensive this book is, I've now got one on order too.
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Just bought the book too. Really, really inexpensive which is the reason why I pulled the trigger right away.
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio