Help Troubleshooting Dead Studio Speakers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Help Troubleshooting Dead Studio Speakers

Greetings. I need some help trying to determine why my M Audio Studiophile AV40s are not making sound from the speakers. They are getting power (the blue LED on the volume knob is lit) and I can hear audio from the headphone jack on the front of the speakers. The power supply was surge protected.

My audio source--my Mac-- is working. Its internal speaker works and I get sound if I plug other speakers into the line out jack. The cables are intact to: I can use them to bring sound to another set of speakers.

I'm stumped. I've never had speakers die and the AV40s are only about 3 years old but I think I've inspected everything. Did I miss anything?

I'm anticipating the worst. The M-Audio forums have a number of posts about speaker failure and frustrated customers not getting return authorization for repairs (yes, I know forums tend to attract people with problems!). If it turns out my speakers are dead, what should I consider replacing them with? The AV40s were $200 (my preferred price range) and I'd get another set but not if the useful life is only 3 years.

Thanks
Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Major Player

53 views and no replies.

If anyone has any experience with M-Audio that would be helpful. I need to make a decision whether to replace them or pitch them altogether and use another brand. My goodness, I didn't realize how much I rely on speakers!
Old October 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Bob - the fact the headphone output is fine, suggests the amp has died. Why not get it fixed. Open them up and check for obvious things - the simplest being a fuse. However, the most common problem will be the power supply. Active speakers rarely lose their output devices as the amp and speakers are matched so well - but the PSU is a likely culprit. Maybe you have a local electronics repair shop or a local enthusiast who can take a look. If you really liked them, ask M-Audio if they are willing to give you a special price on a replacement, as you don't want to buy from their competitors. If it's a known common fault, they might offer you a cheap repair (or even a free one) or maybe some decent discount on a new set. It always pays to ask.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

By your description it certainly sounds like a speaker box issue, but w/o hands-on testing.. no way to be sure. I'm not familiar with M-Audio speakers. The fact that the HP section works.. your audio is getting to the input stage /headphone jack? Any Internal speaker or power amp fuses/ breakers?

Choosing new monitors is like choosing mics, clothes, automobiles, Opinions and requirements vary. Go to your local music or pro-audio store and audition some, based on your price and size needs. Take along a CD or drive with some known program material on it.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #5
New Boot

If the headphone jack on the speakers themselves are working I would think that the power supply is fine because it's powering the headphone amp and the LED just fine. I would guess something is wrong with the amp. Not sure what that would cost to fix. If you decide to get new ones, I would recommend the KRK Rokit 5's. They are $299 for the pair. I really like them.
Daniel Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Major Player

The amp. That makes sense, considering the headphones work fine.

Thank you,everyone. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything obvious in my diagnostic attempts.
Old October 11th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Earlier this year, one of my M Audio speakers stopped working. 2nd time this happened. First time the speakers were still under warranty so I sent the bad unit back and it was repaired. This time, I searched the web and found a link on troubleshooting and saw that the likely culprit was a blown capacitor. Sure enough, the cap had failed (swollen, brown goo leaked out). Ordered replacements from a supply house and following the online instructions, replaced the caps on both speakers. Took about 25 minutes with a soldering iron and cost under $15 if I remember correctly.

Sorry, can't find the site right now but google or bing should get you pointed in the right direction.

Good luck!
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #8
Major Player

Follow up... found the repair info on the M-Audio forum on their website. Might be a good place to look for info on you AV-40.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio