RODE Videomic Pro - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 30th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #46
Trustee

RODE Videomic Pro and Moisture?

Got mine a couple of days ago. One thing I noticed is the lack of silica gel in the packaging unlike my other Rode mics. Which leads me to ask those who have had the chance to try out the Videomic Pro for a few months now - how is its sensitivity to moisture? This isn't mentioned in the documentation other than

Quote:
The VideoMic Pro is made from high-strength ABS, ensuring impact resistance and a longer life, however care must be taken not to get the VideoMic Pro wet. Treat the mic with care, the way you treat your camera, and you should have many years of reliable service.
I am aware that the NTG-3 does very well in damp conditions but is supplied with a metal tube for storage, and both the NTG 1 and 2 are recommended to be stored with the silica gel sachets provided and instructions are given on reactivating the gel when it changes colour.

So, should I be storing the Videomic Pro in a sealed bag with a dessicant and avoiding damp conditions when using it outside or what? Any ideas?
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #47
Major Player

Re: RODE Videomic Pro

It goes without saying that you should not be using a mic outside in wet conditions. That being said, I live in North Western California and we get a lot of rain. I have never had any mic I've ever owned crap out on me for any reason, much less due to moisture in the air. If you've got some silica gel packs, throw one in with the mic when storing if you're concerned.
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #48
Inner Circle

For condenser mics, Rode recommends heating the included silica pack until it turns color and storing the mic with the pack near the diaphragm. This is especially true if you use it without a pop (spit?) shield.
Old March 30th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #49
Trustee

That 's my point, Jon. Rode's description of the Videomic Pro:

Quote:
•Broadcast recording quality condenser microphone
yet there's no dessicant supplied or advice to get some sachets and use them.
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #50
Inner Circle

RODE Videomic Pro & Panasonic TM900

I posted most of this info in the Panasonic TM900 Thread but think selected bits are relevant here so, although we all hate double posting, I've placed an edited extract in this thread as I think it has info which is of use to a wider readership.

My Rode VMP arrived this morning. They were not kidding when someone said "you double the weight of the Rode VMP when you put a battery in it" - it really is VERY light and you immediately wonder if it'll withstand the rigors of professional use that the name implies. Worry not I thought, it has a 10 year guarantee (and I already know from personal experience with Rode that they are truly superb at sorting out any rare problems that might occur).

The VMP is almost exactly the same length as the TM900 I intend it for (it'll also see service on my Canon 7D) and the fact that its so light means it should be a perfect match for such a tiny cam as the Panasonic.

Next, getting the battery in (and yes I did read the excellent instructions first!). I have to say it was not easy, very fiddly and I thought, who the hell thought this was a good way to design a battery compartment! But once you've done it once, its obvious. It really is. I then re-tried it about 3 or 4 times, just to prove to myself that I could replace a battery in front of a client in a hurry, if I needed to, without looking stupid!!! Should not be necessary as the battery lasts a very long time according to the specs. Some clients might still think I look stupid ;-)

Next those rubber suspension bands - yes they seem to come off all too easily. My oh my - I'll be Supergluing them in place (as I've described I did with my original Rode Videomic on this forum before). That will prevent what will become an annoying frustration for sure!

Then I came to put the Rode Videomic Pro on the Panasonic's TM900s accessory microphone shoe attachment. This is where I was a little surprised (actually disappointed). It would not fit!!!!....not without CONSIDERABLE force (and yes I had fully retracted the shoe tightening screw before I attempted this). So much force that I decide to give up before I had a load of broken plastic in my hands that was once a microphone.

Now I'm a very practical type so the solution was easy. It was obvious from inspection that the Rode VMPs metal shoe was a fraction (and I mean maybe less than 1 mm) too wide to fit into the TM900's metal shoe.

So, I took my brand new £149 Rode Videomic Pro and ran a fine file over both outer side edge surfaces of the Rode VMPs metal shoe to shave off the anodized black covering (and a tiny amount of the metal beneath). All is now well - it fits without any problems, like a dream. Like it should have done out of the box...Now, I have no idea if this is a manufacturing tolerance error with the Rode Videomic Pro's shoe being too wide or the TM900s shoe attachment being too narrow but its a simple solution that took me 1 minute to execute. However, if this is not just a one off, I'm sure it will probably annoy someone (somewhere) that they effectively have to alter a brand new, just out of the box VMP using tools just to be able to use it as intended.

Just had time to switch it on, check it works and take a few snaps. Sure, as feared, the cable is a bit long so I'll be sorting out the best way to deal with that when I have more play time. If you want to see pics of it on the TM900 look here where I'll post more info sometime soon:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...ml#post1636790
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #51
Trustee

Its a great mic, but don't expect miracles outside in a high wind. Since we have a precedent of referring to a post in another forum :-), I reported about trying it outside in http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...-dead-cat.html

"I failed [to avoid wind noise] miserably myself yesterday when trying out a Rode Videomic Pro on an open top deck bus tour. OK my free deadcat hasn't arrived yet, but I don't think it would have made any difference as the wind force was nearly taking the mic right out of the shockmount."
Old April 9th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Andy, Rode did have a small quantity of out of spec aluminium shoes that were delivered and installed on VMPs (only) before they knew of the problem. The batch checks were Ok but understandably they don't check every single one by fitting it on a camera.

If anyone else has that problem, loosen the screw and turn the shoe 180 degrees and try it before anything else. Shouldn't have too I know but it works on some, if it doesn't .. you don't want to file it down and you're not satisfied and why should you be, as reported elsewhere contact Rode support for an immediate replacement.

Cheers.
Old April 9th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Allan,

The shoe would not fit with a 180 degree turn - I measured both ends with calipers and they were similar/still too wide. For the record the Serial Number is a little over 1800 and it was bought in the UK from an amazon marketplace seller. It was a simple and very quick solution to what looks to be the only metal part of the unit - I spent 20 odd years as an R&D Engineer in industry so it really was not a problem for me to work out what was needed (!) but thanks for confirming it was a Rode thing and not a Panasonic thing.

Sure, I bet someone will not feel as brave about very slightly modifying a brand new item with a fine file - and for those people they should do just as you suggest. As I mentioned, Rode have an exemplary record in dealing with any problems that might occur with their gear - something I found out from personal experience a few years ago (as you know) and it's one of the main reasons I now often buy their products.

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; April 9th, 2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: typo!
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #54
Trustee

Since mine has a similar but slightly lower S/N than Andy's, this prompted me to try the VMP out on all the accessory shoes I might need it to fit. No problem with any of the cameras (all Canon) but a VERY tight fit on a PAGlight 1021 accessory bracket.

Having said that, I had to operate on the two shoe fittings on the PAGlight bracket when I first got it. It wouldn't take an Rode SM3 shockmount or a Sennheiser EK 100 G2 without being opened out a bit with a large flat bladed screwdriver. It needed opened out a bit more with the VMP.

The VMP worked fine with Rycote hotshoe extension bars.
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Was looking for this mic, but the only place I ended up was amazon. and that specific one changes price by 100 pounds every day :O

Is it worth the money or will I be ok with the simple video mic instead?
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #56
Inner Circle

Wait until a market place seller (or someone more local to you in Greece) has them back in stock again at a sensible price. On amazonuk they seem to have jumped to about £180 from the £149 + free delivery that I paid just a few days ago.

Was using my VMP today and it's an excellent mic - really pleased with the sound and small footprint/light weight of the thing on camera.

I don't think I'll be using my original Rode Vodeomic much any more. Apart from the improvement in sound I get with the new Rode VMP, the old one also sticks out a lot at the back (as well as way out in front) when on a Canon DSLR such as my 7D, which is awkward to put it mildly. If you need to put a mic on the camera (usually the worst place for any mic...as we all know) then the VMP is the mic to go for, especially on a DSLR because of the +20dB setting and what it does with the AGC.

I also tried it again today on my Panasonic TM900 camcorder and the difference in audio quality between using it and using the on-board cam mics was very dramatic. I did a "with or without" direct comparison (of just my kids playing around in the garden while we cooked a BBQ). It's really obvious which option worked best - don't think I'll be using the TM900 again without the VMP on it! Very impressive...

So that's another great mic from Rode in my collection!
Old April 10th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #57
Trustee

Prebooked mine from CVP Rode VideoMic Pro - Compact Shotgun Microphone (camera mic) and it arrived a week ago. Don't know how the delivery would be for you to Greece but you could ask them. Very reliable supplier in my experience. They have a "price match" deal at the moment on this.
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:17 AM   #58
Regular Crew

haha! guys I am located in the UK, just havent changed the Greece on my profile. also the one on amazon atm is 261 pounds O.o
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #59
Trustee

Here's another UK supplier:
RODE VIDEOMIC PRO at Studiospares
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #60
Regular Crew

I received my Rode Videomic Pro today. I can't get the battery cover off to install a battery. I read the comments in this thread about the cover being difficult, but it looks like everyone figured it out - except me. I followed the instructions in the manual, but when I push up on the indentation, nothing happens. I have pushed pretty hard, but don't want to push any harder and break something.

Is there a technique beyond what the manual says?

EDIT: never mind, I finally pushed really hard and it came off. It was a pain to replace the cover too.
Dale McClelland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio