Replacement for versatile but noisy mixer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 8th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Major Player

Replacement for versatile but noisy mixer?

Hi,

I'm currently using a Spirit Power Pad mixer for live audio / video performances:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_i...6a5c2e0552.jpg

In many ways it is ideal - 2 stereo and 4 mono inputs, 2 main outs and a stereo monitor out. I mainly use it to mix audio from quicktime movie files and audio files from my laptop via 2 audio interfaces, one firewire the other via the express port, also sometimes using 2 laptops. The stereo inputs are important because then I can control levels with ease (twiddling 4 mono pots is tricky). It is also ultra portable which is important. I also use it to record the performances via the monitor out which is very useful.

However, it is too noisy so I need better quality without going through the roof price-wise.

Any recommendations for a replacement that offers similar functions and size but with less noise?

Thanks,

Geoff
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Trustee

Mackie is probably the cleanest for that size and functionality and price point. Years ago I used a 1202 to record an orchestra performance and it worked amazingly well. (actually that recording won the "Mixed on a Mackie" contest so I may be a bit biased!)
Other small format mixers I've used were a Neve 12x4 but it cost somewhere around $12000. And then there was a Toft 8 channel but it was around $4k.
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Robert, the 802 VLZ3 looks just the ticket!

Mackie - 802-VLZ3

Geoff
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Trustee

I am surprised that mixer is noisy as it is virtually identical to the mackie and soundcraft are normally OK.

Is it not your interfaces that are noisy?

I have a larger Yamaha mixer that I may be selling if you wanted something more substantial with sliding faders and lots of flexibility.

It is this one: Yamaha MG12/4
Old February 8th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for reply Gary and you make a good point about the interfaces. I suppose my guide is that when I use the interfaces without the mixer the noise I hear when using the mixer is absent. The review in SoS on the Mackie mixer is very good but you are right that the two look very similar. How to tell without acually buying?

I like the look of the mixer you might sell. Size matters though and I couldn't tell from the link. The Mackie is 27x22cm - what size is the Yahama?

Geoff
Old February 9th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #6
Trustee

The Yamaha is quite large and even has rack mount ears so may be too big.

I also have one of these that I use for location and small A.V work: Chemical Ltd | Buy Behringer - Behringer 1002-B - XENYX 1002B :: Premium 10-Input 2-Bus Mixer with XENYX Preamps, British EQs and Optional Battery Operation - Mixing Desk at Chemical Ltd

Battery operation too if you require it.
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Trustee

Mackie and soundcraft are made in different countries and though I have no way to prove it would bet money there are no identical components. Kinda like a Ford and Chevy. They both have steering wheels, seats and an engine but guarantee they don't come from the same factory.
Please don't even look at Berhinger if you want clean sound. I'll admit I have one and several friends do too but I only use it in my home to plug keyboards into since my keyboard amp doesn't have enough inputs. For recording or anything critical I'd use (and have used) any Mackie in a heartbeat.
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Spirit Pad mixer..Too noisy? I'm surprised. I would assume a line-level out to be on par with the Mackie VLZs. Perhaps something else was to blame, perhaps pluging into a speaker level output?. It is a 'powered' mixer.
Soundcraft always made a good product.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio