Sound Devices 702 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:00 PM   #1
New Boot

Sound Devices 702

Has anyone used a Sound Devices 702 WITHOUT a mixer (I just need two mics) and does the mixer improve the quality of the SD702. I heard that the preamps on both are about the same.

The flexibility of a mixer would be great but I am mostly concerned with overall quality right now.

Also, any recommendation for a wired mic for this recorder. I have an EV 50 but it is not hot enough.

Thanks
John Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The SD702 is a great unit. I use it without a mixer if I record 2 channels. It's preamps are excellent and you will have no problems with dynamic mics.

Mixers like the 302 add the ability to input more channels and also add versatility in terms of signal routing.

Best,
Greg
Greg Penetrante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Having a SD mixer as the front-end would be of little advantage unless.. you need to combine multiple mics to a single track. or you just like to carry and/or collect more gear.

"The EV 50 is not hot enough"
For what?
The RE50 "N/DYM" has a slightly hotter output... if a H/H Omni is the type of mic you need?
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I use my 702 with and without the 302 in front of it - even though I might be using just two mics the scale on the 302 is a lot easier to see and I've just gotten used to it!
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Major Player

The SD mixers have better limiters, i believe. The dual stage magical stuff where it cannot clip. The limiter on the 702 i thought was "harder". Never tested it though.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The quality of the mic pre on the SD 7XX recorders are better than SD mixers. Although SD mixers got excellent mic pre already.
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #7
New Boot

I have used the 702T without a mixer, while helping out some students with their projects at VFS.

It works fine without it, but the 302 will give you a much wider range of gain/level control, and of course better level meters.

Earlier today I posted some thoughts and comparisons on the 702 recorder here: Phoric Films – Choosing a Field Recorder – Zoom H4n or Sound Devices 702?
Ed Burnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

perfectly fine without a mixer + you can setup and toggle between different monitoring scenarios.
i swapped out one of 2 condenser mics for a dynamic mic recently and it really sounded much better than i expected.
Brian McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

We use a 744 and its the bomb. It has 2 mic in same as 702 plus 2 line in. The pre amps are so clean but someone was right about the limiter. If you are using RMS 2040 or a Sen 416 staright in its hard to imagine you can find anything that sounds better.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio