Hosa QENG Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 8th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Trustee

Hosa QENG Mic

Saw this little sucker & was wondering if anyone has experience with it? It's tiny, seems pretty cool for run & gun but I can't seem to find much online in way of reviews or comparisons.

Hosatech ELECTRONIC NEWS GATHERING MICROPHONE KIT - ENG

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Major Player

I get worried with the mic connections being 3.5mm plugs [not good for long term] rather than XLR. You might be better off getting the bits you need when you need them.
The Rode NTG2 mic, might be better long term runs on a standard AA battery or phantom power.
Do you need a boom pole? I have seen some great small boom poles made from old 35mm SLR camera tripods.
Desk stands, I prefer the 3 legged fold up type as they are much lighter.
Headphones... you don't need to spend an arm and a leg.... OK professionals use Sony or Sennheiser but take a CD you know well to a retail store and try as many pairs of H/Phones as you can to find the best in your budget range.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Trustee

The Hosa Que (not QENG as I said earlier) appeals to me due to it's very small footprint. If it preforms close to the NTG2 then size will win out for me since I much prefer to keep things as compact as possible.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

it is very directional (as expected) but level is weak, so you will need to push volume up (and noise coming with).
All in all , for the price, it is a nice kit (you can take the video kit that is a bit cheaper , without the headphone and the boom) .
If you need the size/weight factor for DSLR and stabilizers it is great. If you do not particularly worry about that, you can probably find lots of mics with same or better performances in this price range.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Major Player

I think the Rode VideoMic Pro would be a much better mic. it's still got a small form factor, but it has a 20db boost to allow you to turn down your recording level, resulting in lower noise.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio