Gov't Access Channel & Music Copyright - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 1st, 2011, 01:58 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Gov't Access Channel & Music Copyright

[Response is to descriptions of objectionable content on public access channel, since deleted by Chris as detailed below]

Yes, but there are no laws against any of that. The FCC is for Broadcast only, and has no jurisdiction over cable, and anyway they're only charged with trying to make sure broadcasters act in the public interest. They only act if there's a complaint and all they can do is refuse to approve a renewal of a broadcast license. And even that's debatable -- technically, they have no authority over content. The Telecommunications act of 1934, which created the commission, only gives them the right to administer the allocation of frequencies and spectrum issues.

You can do whatever you want on cable. Any restrictions are purely business decisions.

Last edited by Adam Gold; March 1st, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:12 PM   #32
Trustee

Ah ha. I didn't realize the FCC had limits on its powers with what they have been doing the last several years ;)
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:33 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Not to get too political, but it seems they don't realize it either....
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:19 PM   #34
Inner Circle

[Response is to descriptions of objectionable content on public access channel, since deleted by Chris as detailed below]

The first amendment protects all speech, even odious stuff. Not just the stuff we agree with.

A privately owned channel has no obligation to air that stuff. But the Government can't tell you what you can say (with very limited exceptions -- "Fighting words," Yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theatre if there isn't actually a fire, etc).

This is veering into the political and I fear it will get removed, although I think this is a debate worth having.

Last edited by Adam Gold; March 1st, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:24 PM   #35
Trustee

I don't think we are getting political. We are just discussing the laws that public access channels must follow and what they are allowed to air.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:28 PM   #36
Inner Circle

I agree with you. Many people have the wrong idea about the First Amendment and exactly what it protects.
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:43 PM   #37
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Well, after reading about Tampa's public access channel (TBCN), I wonder if there are ANY rules and laws our channel must follow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
In the case of TBCN aka 'Speak up Tampa Bay', I cannot believe they & the ACLU won the lawsuit forcing the county to fund ($350,000+/yr) this channel...
Steve, I can appreciate your frustration, however there are certain words and terms
used in your posts with which I do not want this site to be associated in Google
search results.

In other words, if something makes you cringe, don't post about it to this forum,
because most likely it makes me cringe as well. The descriptions in your two
posts involve subject matter that I don't want to see here. Please complain
about it elsewhere on the Web. Thanks for understanding.

Thread stays open... for now. This forum is intentionally limited to the subjects
of digital video content creation and technical Q&A -- nothing more than that.
It's none of this site's business if you saw something gross on cable access.
I'm not interested in that type of post for DV Info Net. Thanks again,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 07:21 PM   #38
Trustee

Sorry about that Chris. Won't happen again :)
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio