sennheiser wireless microphone interference with EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 21st, 2011, 01:06 PM   #1
New Boot

sennheiser wireless microphone interference with EX1

Hello, I searched the forums and couldn't find what I was looking for, so i'm posting here. Basically, I'm having issues with my Sennheiser ew100 wireless microphone system. My range is super limited, like 10 feet, and even within that range I get little bursts of static a fair amount of the time (although not always). I actually have access to two ew100 systems, and I get this with both of them, so I'm thinking it has something to do with my setup, or perhaps some settings. Anyway, this is how I have my EX1 set up usually -

Channel 1, set to mic input, the wireless receiver plugged in, mounted on a hot shoe near the back of the camera.

Channel 2, set to mic + 48hz (or whatever the measurement unit is), with my Rode NTG-1 shotgun plugged into that, taking power from the camera.

I've tried changing frequencies, but that hasn't helped. Movement seems to exacerbate the problem, and I could be imagining that. I believe the 5 reception bars usually drop to 4 on the receiver whenever there's one of the static bursts. Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide. This problem has been haunting me!
Joe Spitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: sennheiser wireless microphone interference with EX1

How does the unit perform when plugged into other devices or camera's?
Have you checked for open channels /TV stations in your area and used the scan function in the receiver?
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Major Player

turn off your transmitter and see what the rf meter on the receiver reads. if it's showing any bars at all then something else is on that frequency and interfering with your mic reception. change receiver channel until you find a clear one. use patience, it sometimes takes 20+ changes to find a clear one manually. once you find one, set the transmitter to the same channel and see if this offers any improvement. report your findings, there are other things to check after that.

also use Find Available Frequencies to search for channels used by digital TV stations. these digital stations will probably not show up on your analog receiver so make sure to avoid them! a quick look finds that Austin is a very crowded market for DTV and this is probably your issue. 542-548 are the only TV free freqs I see...hopefully you have the "A" range units.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:44 AM   #4
Major Player

You are not using a range "C" are you?

These are now illegal in the USA and legal users on this channel could seriously be restricting your range.

Also - only use the standard Sennheiser-calculated frequencies. The next channel really should be at least 350kHz away from the first one.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Spitzer View Post
Hello, I searched the forums and couldn't find what I was looking for, so i'm posting here. Basically, I'm having issues with my Sennheiser ew100 wireless microphone system. My range is super limited, like 10 feet, and even within that range I get little bursts of static a fair amount of the time (although not always). I..!
Are all cell phones in the vicinity powered OFF? Not just set to silent but actually shut down? Blackberrys are especially notorious for generating static when they 'phone home' every few minutes.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Are all cell phones in the vicinity powered OFF? Not just set to silent but actually shut down? Blackberrys are especially notorious for generating static when they 'phone home' every few minutes.
Heh, thank you Steve. I preach this at every event I do although most times especially at seminars it falls on deaf ears. I am thinking of printing a large sign and hanging it at the entrance of the event OR getting a cell phone transmission blocker (like they have on the spy and cop shows) or even an automatic cell phone turner offer. (word???)
If I can shut mine off for the time I'm there, then so can they, but that's in a perfect world.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
OR getting a cell phone transmission blocker
Just what you need, a box that spews out MORE rf energy (aimed at interfering with cell transmissions). If you think cell freqs are the problem this box will only make things worse...
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Nope that should actually be a "CELL PHONE SHUTTER OFFER" to automatically shut ALL forms of cell phones and Blackberrys off when they get with in 25 feet of the entry to the event. Of course it would not put out any RF that would interfer with my wireless and would do full body scans to those that tried to beat the system. It would also post those scans to the internet for the world to see.
Until that machine comes along I will continue to suffer as we all do with the occassional blip in a wireless transmission.

O|O
\--/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio