rode ntg2/AT897 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 7th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Major Player

rode ntg2/AT897

really want the ntg3 but cant afford it now.
how does the ntg2 compare to the at897 and is the ntg3 noticeably better than the 2 give the much higher price
i will be going xlr to mini into my sony cx550 hd camcorder. does going minijack still keep the good audio? seems it wouldnt
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: rode ntg2/AT897

I have several microphones including a NTG2, NT1a, Sony, Sennheiser etc. It is surprising how subtle the differences are. I want to emphasize subtle. If you are producing DVDs or web based videos etc. then I am more or less 100% certain that your viewers will not know if the sound track was recorded on a $50 or $500 mike.

If you are supplying studio shots for broadcast, then invest in the best you can afford. For the equipment you are using the NTG2 will be more than sufficient, maybe even an overkill.
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #3
Trustee

While the Rode NTG-2 and the Audi-Technica 897 can be powered by internal battery or phantom power, the Rode NTG-3 is 48V phantom only and I don't think this camera supplies that through the plug in power jack. It will almost certainly be a much lower voltage for consumer electret mics. By the time you add a Beachtech or Juiced Link you are talking a sizeable chunk of the cost of the camera.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Major Player

The NTG-2 beats the AT897 IMO.

And I like the NTG-3 much more than the NTG-2 (I have both). Here's a video I made with both. There are also other mics in the demo, but you get a chance to hear the 2 against the 3, though not in the most appropriate environment.

Old April 14th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Trustee

This test reminds me of an LP I used to own, "The Glory of Cremona", the violinist Ruggerio Ricci played 12 outstanding violins made by Stradivarius, Guarnerius, Amati etc. After track two you couldn't tell the difference between any of the violins.

Chad, your mikes sound great, move the Rode NTG2 a few inches closer than the NTG3 and I doubt if you or anyone else will be able to tell the difference.

I too have tested many mikes over the years and have come to the conclusion that mike placement is probably more important than the actual hardware.
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Major Player

I don't know about the AT897 but I have owned the NTG2 for a couple of years and I really like it. I also own the Rode Videomic and it is a great microphone also. I have the new Rode Videomic Pro on order.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio